6 | BUCKINGHAM HOUSE AND SOBBING SONS

ANTONIA STARED OUT of the carriage window, her face in awe at the sight. It was a beautiful home, that she assumed was for her and George to live in or have their honeymoon in. It was just stunning and it reminded her of her own home back in Poland. George was the first to step out of the carriage, he then offered his hand to his wife and helped her out of the carriage. Antonia now had an even better look at the building in front of her.

"What do you think?" George asked.

"It is lovely. Who lives here?"

George smiled as he led Antonia up the steps. "I had it designed just for you."

She paused in her steps. "This is our house? George."

"It is your house."

She furrowed her brows. "It is my house. What do you mean?"

"This is where you shall live. I had all of your things moved here during the ceremony."

"I'm not sure I completely understand, if this if my house is it not also our house?"

George looked at her. "I suppose officially, St. James's Palace is our house, but this is where you shall stay."

She watched as he began to climb the steps once more. "And you shall stay?"

"I have an estate in Kew." He replied, stopping in his steps to look at her.

She raised her brows. "So you shall live in Kew? And I shall live here?"

"Yes." He nodded, once again walking up the steps.

"It is our wedding night, George." She pointed out.

"And it is late and you've been travelling and I should let you get inside. You shall need to meet your staff, you'll want to get some sleep."

Antonia climbed up the steps to be on the same on as him. "It is our wedding night, George. We are supposed to be together."

"Are you demanding I perform my martial duty to you?" He whispered to her in a low voice that sent her knees almost buckling. 

"I am not demanding anything, I just wish for you to stay." She whispered back, wondering why he was acting so strange.

He clenched his jaw slightly. "Fine, I shall stay." He said before storming inside.

"George." She called out, following him.

"I said, I shall stay. Are you coming?"

The staff applauded as they entered and while Antonia smiled at them in thanks, George just walked past them. She ran as fast as her dress and heels would allow her to after her husband.

"George! George, I cannot keep up, slow down."

"You wanted me in the bedroom." He said, turning to her. "Is that not where I should be?"

"Not if you are going to behave the way you are." She dropped the bottom of her dress that she had been holding in order to stop her from tripping as she ran. "You are angry. What is wrong? What have I done? Whatever it is, I am sorry. You do not need to perform any martial duty just yet, but I would like to spend time with you alone."

"You've done nothing to be sorry for. I just...I...I want to go to Kew." He admitted.

"Shall I join you?"

"No, I..."

She took a small breath. "You do not want me to go to Kew."

"This is your home."

"And that is yours. I see, your culture is not quite like mine and I seemed to have forgotten that."

"So, you are alright?" He asked, hoping she understood in some way.