Chapter 6

Anaa's POV

"Can I go to the freshers party?"

Taking a deep breath, gathering my courage, I finally voiced my request. I had dropped the idea of attending the freshers' party earlier at college as soon as I got to know about it. Even though I really wanted to go and have my mind off things for a while, I knew the struggle I would have to go through to get permission. However, the thought of giving it a try came to my mind when Ribha brought up the subject. If we were already discussing it, I might as well ask for permission to go. I hesitated for a moment, thinking about the what ifs and considering the potential repercussions and Azfar's disapproval. But I let my intrusive thoughts win.

The question hung in the air, and I felt a mixture of hope and apprehension bubbling within me, awaiting Bijaan's response. I wondered if Azfar would intervene, knowing how he wouldn't be a fan of the idea.

I observed a flicker of hesitation cross Bijaan's face. I think she was contemplating about whether her grandson would like it or not. I could sense the conflict in her mind, as if she was weighing the consequences of granting me permission against Azfar's potential disapproval. She hesitated for a moment before she spoke, her voice filled with a motherly warmth mixed with concern.

"Yes, you can go, but make sure you come back early." She finally replied with a hesitant smile, patting me on the head.

Did she just say yes?! That too in front of the devil? I could hardly believe my ears. I let out a breath of relief that I felt like I had been holding in forever.

"Thank you Bijaan!" I cheered up, giving her a side hug.

Azfar had been silently observing the entire conversation. I could feel his eyes on Bijaan, and he seemed restless, fidgeting with the food on his plate, restraining himself from saying something. Suddenly, he cleared his throat, signaling his intent to speak up.

"What time does it start? And when are you planning to be back?" He said with a seemingly casual tone, masking his inner discontent with the situation.

I knew he couldn't just let me go that easily. Ofcourse he had to create hurdles to maintain his reputation as the devil. Quickly gathering my thoughts, I prepared my response. As much as I wanted to push his buttons, I knew it wouldn't end well for me. So, I decided to take a different approach and be diplomatic.

"It starts at 6. I'll make sure not to stay out too late and be back before midnight," I said, trying to inject confidence into my tone, wanting to sound believable.

I heard him snort, taking sip from his glass of water before shaking his head.

"You'll come back before midnight? You call that not staying out too late?"
His words dripped with sarcasm and mockery, clearly indicating his disapproval.

Who does he think he is? I had never met anyone with such a high level of a God complex. I was momentarily at a loss for words, unable to find an appropriate, respectful, non-offensive response to such an intelligent question.

But it seemed he didn't want any answers because he continued speaking, asserting his dominance.

"Your curfew is 8 p.m. Make sure you're home before that." he declared, wiping his hands on a handkerchief and standing up from the table, ready to leave.

Is that it? He's just going to throw orders at me and leave without even waiting for me to respond?

I kept gaping, astonished at his authoritative demeanor. He was halfway across the room when I finally managed to voice my protestations.

"I can't come back by 8. It's too early. There's no point in me going then," I protested, desperately hoping to reason with him.

He turned around, now facing me, his hands in his black sweatpants, a stern expression on his face. "I've already bent my rules enough by letting you stay out after dusk, only because Bijaan has already given you her word," he said, his tone filled with authority.

"Don't expect anything more. 8 o'clock means 8 o'clock. Goodnight," he finished, his words final. With that, he turned around, bidding his goodbyes and left the room.

I stood there, feeling a mixture of frustration and disappointment.

Inko baat kisi ne baat karne ki tameez nahi sikhayi kya?
Translation
Has he never been taught how to engage in a civilised conversation? I thought to myself. Why does he always have to make a power show out of every situation? His superiority complex is starting to get on my nerves now.

Bijaan glanced at me sympathetically. "I'm sorry, my dear," she said softly, her voice filled with compassion. "You know how he is. But don't worry, there will be other parties and events. We'll find a way to make it work next time."

Her words offered some solace, reminding me that there would be future opportunities to experience the joy and freedom I deserved and that it wasn't the end of the world. But deep down, I doubted it. It was starting to feel impossible living with him constantly breathing down my neck. I don't know how Ribha's been surviving his dominance her whole life. This guy seems to be oblivious to the way the world works.

I gave Bijaan a weak smile and started picking up the plates. As I cleared the table, my mind raced with thoughts of how I would be able to manage having fun at the party and still make it back within the two-hour curfew imposed upon me. It seemed like an impossible task, but I was determined to find a way.

_________________________________________________

Aaaa I know Azfar sounds like a dickhead but trust the process. There's going to be growth <3