Chapter 1: Pretty Girl and the Lost Boy

10th Century, in a Land later named Mystic Falls

“It’s a beautiful, healthy girl.”

It was the first thing Kassandra had heard after the first time she was reborn. Of course, at that time, she had not really known what the words meant as she had yet to learn the language of her new parents. She was given her original name, no doubt thanks to Qetsiyah's spirit influencing. As the days passed after her birth, she tried her best to learn what she could about her new life by picking up information from the things around her.

Her new mother’s name was Ayana who happened to be one of the witches who descended from the bloodline she shared with her sister. Her father was one of the best hunters in the village, named Axel. They were good parents but Kassandra was unsure of how to act around them as the parents she had known in her previous lifetime had never really been present in her and her sister’s lives.

Her consciousness as an infant was weak, so she couldn’t really do much but besides from eating and sleeping. During her early years, she had tried to learn as much from her new family as she could. She had discovered that she was the youngest among her three siblings who were residing in neighboring villages with their own family. Because of this, she had been the sole focus of her new parent’s attention. Ayana and Axel had taught her how wonderful having kind parents could be. It was the first time she had ever experienced the warm feeling of parental love. She felt indebted to them.

So during the first five years of her life, Kassandra quickly learned how to speak, then crawl and walk so she could help around the house. At first, both Ayana and Axel felt so much gratitudes to the gods for blessing them with a sweet, kind and gentle daughter. But they both grew concerned as they noticed that their daughter has never once shown to share the same interest like other children her age would.

Axel thought not to question why their youngest child always seemed so mature and well behaved despite her young age, and simply accepted it as a blessing from the gods. But Ayana knew better. She could sense that magic had something to do with the birth of their exceptional daughter, afterall she had practiced the craft all her life.

When Kassandra reached the age of six winters, Ayana had asked her to gather berries outside. Kassandra knew that her new mother was planning to consult with the spirits of their ancestors to ask the reason for the odd percurialities of her youngest child. Ayana will soon discover the truth about her identity. But Kassandra had nothing to worry about because her visions had told her Ayana and Axel would continue to love her all the same. Her visions had never failed her in the past and after centuries had passed as she wandered aimlessly around the land alone, she had learned to master them. She had no reason to doubt or worry.

Walking in the forest by herself made her think back about the past thousand years she had spent alone as a spirit. As a witch, she had a strong connection with nature but after Qetsiyah had offered her own life and magic as a sacrifice to bargain with nature for her sister to have a chance to attain true immortality, nature accepted Qetsiyah's offering and had fully claimed her soul. Her soul would forever be bound to nature ensuring nothing could ever break the connection and cursed to wander the land alone till she is able to be reborn in a vessel that is a mortal shadow of her previous body or until she is able to complete Qetsiyah's ritual and claim her original body that has been immortalized.

As a spirit, she was able to expand her conscience and witness all the beauty of the world but never being able to fully enjoy it without a physical body. Unable to interact with any living creature was torturous. She supposed there were worse things in this world, like being buried alone on an isolated island. But there were times when the fear of forever being alone took over her consciousness. There were plentiful times that she grew mad from the loneliness, causing spontaneous disruptions in nature as she was a part of it. But fortunately, she was always able to regain her sanity thanks to her sister.