Part 9

[So sorry for disappearing :c
Spring tends to make me moody and give me a massive writer's block...
Thank you so much to people who left comments and DMed me to make sure I'm still alive :D

The chapter is not proofread we die like hwasun subunit]

April

A reminder beeps insistently on my screen: "April 2nd, 11:00 AM: Byul's fitting!"

In any other situation, I would be excited about such an important event, and I am excited, but for a completely different reason. Tonight is the first time I'll be seeing Hyejin since that night. If she's willing to show herself, that is. Earlier this morning, she had already notified in the group chat that she would be coming, thus setting off about a million shocked and delighted emojis from Wheein and Byul.

So she should show up.

Right?

The two days that have passed since that night dragged on so painfully long that I was literally climbing the wall. I could have easily called her or just texted her, but my hand didn't even rise to open our chat in KKT for one simple reason: I was terrified, like a schoolboy who confessed his love to the most popular girl in school and now awaits a response from her.

"What's wrong?" Byul is sitting next to me, twitching her leg nervously and genuinely not looking any better than me. 

It's understandable, the fitting is a pretty big event during the wedding preparations. But my nervousness and frantic checking of the time on my phone must look extremely out of place, judging by the awkward, bewildered faces of the assistants, standing at a distance and waiting with us for Wheein and Hyejin who are slightly late.

"Nothing."

"If it's about Hyejin, then don't worry," Byul says. Read my mind, as always. "She will definitely come. Wheein texted me that she's with her."

"That doesn't help me much," I say, letting a hysterical shrill laugh out of me. "Ha! God, what have I gotten myself into..."

"You recently said that you two were just sleeping together, and definitely not dating," Byul says quietly. "You should have seen your face at that moment. It's like you were forced to say it at gunpoint."

Yeaaaaah.

"Let me guess, you decided to end your whole 'friends with benefits' ordeal because you actually developed feelings for her, and you thought Hyejin isn't going to reciprocate those feelings." Byul really scares me sometimes. It's not normal how accurately she guesses everything that's going on in my head. "But she does. Hyejin does like you. For quite some time now. She never shuts up about you, when she's talking to me and Wheein. I had no idea what a bubbler she becomes when it comes to you. And so she was terribly offended when you decided to end your... meetings. Am I on the right track?"

"You scare me," I say.

"You are both such children, honestly," Byul sighs. "Compared to you two, my idiotics before I confessed to Wheein seem like the most adequate thing in the world."

I have no choice but to agree with her. Hyejin and I are complete idiots. What a pathetic sight, Hyejin said at the restaurant over a year ago, and so much has happened since then, and I feel like a completely different person today, but the essence remains the same. We are still an incredibly pathetic sight. A confusing, stupid, pathetic sight.

"So what now?" Byul asks softly. "Will you two finally remember how old you are and talk like adults today?"

"Yes." I answer.