Chapter Twenty-Three

Annabeth Chase's POV

The next morning, everybody going on the quest gathered in the dining pavilion. Each of the twenty-one demigods going had a backpack equipped with food and water, a weapon of choice, and obvious camping equipment like tents and sleeping bags.

Sophie looked like she couldn't really fathom it either. This quest was huge. Twenty-one people, three groups of demigods. Elves, wizards, and children of the gods. I could feel hysterical laughter bubbling up in my throat, so I focused on Percy like I always do when I need to stay grounded.

Then I realized everyone was looking up at me. I was the de facto leader, apparently. Sophie gave me an encouraging nod.

"Okay. We're going to head to the road. Argus has a bus for us so that we can get off the island, then we're going to head to the deepest, darkest parts of the forests around here. Hopefully, Dark will take the bait."

We'd been calling the current holder of The Source Dark, and Erebus, Dusty, just to keep things concise.

Everyone nodded. We waved goodbye to some campers who were waiting for us by  Argus's bus. I pulled Kiara aside.

"Do you think you can handle things for a few days?"

Kiara smiled and nodded confidently.

"Okay. I'll let Argus know you're in charge so he can enforce the rule. Thanks."

"Of course. Come home quickly, Annabeth."

She stepped back to let us into the bus. Argus blinked several of his icy blue eyes, several of them showing joy.

"Hey, Argus."

He nodded, conveying his 'hello' without speaking. Keefe climbed on board right after me.

"Uh, Annabeth? The...the bus driver has more than two eyes."

"Duh," I said, plopping myself down in the row second from the front and patting the seat next to me for Percy. "He's Argus, the Many-Eyed One."

Keefe just nodded and let Sophie pull him into the row behind me.

Jason, Piper, and Leo sat in the back, privately joking about deja vu. I remembered Leo telling me that when Jason woke up with amnesia, he was in the back of the bus.

Will (yes, Will, I want him in this okay) and Nico slipped into the row across from Percy and I, and Tam and Biana sat behind them. Linh chose to sit with Hermione, and Dex squeezed in with Leo so that they could geek out over some techy things.

Once everyone was on the bus, Argus closed the doors and pulled out of camp. During the short fifteen-minute ride to the edge of the forest. I leaned my head against Percy's shoulder as he stared out the window.

"Remember the last time we went into a forest on a quest? I had to kill Medusa again."

Percy chuckled to himself, and I smiled despite the terrifying memory.

Having Percy's witty sarcasm constantly around helps a lot.

"I remember. Grover had an awkward family reunion."

Grover had found a solidified statue of his uncle, who had gone missing looking for Pan, the god of the wilderness.

"Those were the good days. Not fully understanding what happened after death."

Percy tightened his hold on my hand.

"The last time I was on a bus, It was for a field trip before I knew I was a demigod. I saw the Fates cut my string, but I haven't died yet. I always wondered why."