Chapter Two

November 1984

I walked down the crowded hallway with Jessica glued to my hip. Today was officially Friday night football, but I wasn't feeling it. After Coach Bird cut me from the big moment in the tumble routine, I had no desire to actually continue forward with the performance. The sea of bodies in the hallway moved as individual waves along the perimeter of the main corridor. I yanked my slouching bookbag up my sleeve after I bumped into another student standing in a group.

            "So, you seriously gon' skip the game tonight? Coach Bird gon' kill you." Jessica forcefully whispered as we ventured down the corridor to math class. I shrugged my shoulders in response and continued in my walk down the hall.

            "Tonight, was my night to show out on that field, and Bird gave up my spot. But I'm happy at least one of us get to showcase our talent." I playfully whispered back. I didn't want to upset Jessica or come off as jealous since I was truly happy for her. I felt slated by Coach Bird and deserved to get revenge on the injustice I faced. Which meant the team would be missing one of their best cheerleaders, and if we lost the game it would be her fault! Not mine.

            "So what? You boycottin' the team now?" Jessica egged on, "Like Naomi, you're one of the best tumblers we got, and its' the rival game tonight." We rounded the corner and I immediately spotted Eric leaning against one of the walls in the hallway. I never knew he attended this school, nor of his existence prior to yesterday. Eric wore a bright orange windbreaker with denim jeans that hugged his legs. His well-kept afro was cut low which glistened from the grease he used. His skin was smooth and shined from the cocoa butter that he lathered himself with. I couldn't help admiring him from a distance, something I had become ashamed to admit.

            As if he could sense my unbashful stare, Eric broke eye contact with the guy he was talking to and met my transfixed gaze. Of course, with my luck he caught me staring! I tried to pull away from his gaze, but my body betrayed me in every possible way. This was the second time that he had this kind of effect on me, and at this point I wasn't sure if I was more bothered or flattered by it. He was a perfect being among imperfections, and in my imperfectness I managed to capture his undivided attention. A soft smile curled up his plump lips, and I subconsciously returned the gesture.

            "Naomi?" Jessica called out, pulling me from my trance. Before I had a second to gather my thoughts, Jessica was forcefully tugging me in the opposite direction. I glanced over my shoulder to see Eric's eyes still trained on me, this time chuckling under his breath as I was pulled away.

            "Yo, what was that?!" I shouted once we entered the girl's restroom. Jessica released my hand, before dropping her bookbag on the countertop.

            "That Eric guy is bad news, Nae."

            I rolled my eyes, "I ain't even interested in him."

            "Girl, I seen that look on your face." Jessica retorted, and I sighed in response. Jessica was always one to be more cautious around boys, and that was something we bonded over. She was just as headstrong as I was, but I knew what I was doing. There was no harm in curiosity as long as I refrained from acting on those cravings. "I went home yesterday and was talking with Tonya 'bout what happened after practice."

            "And?"

            "And she said, Eric is actually apart of some new gang in Cartersville called the Scorpion-Disciples. Or something weird like that." Jessica said while unzipping her bag and pulling out a piece of paper. I took the paper from her and examined the contents. A small news article on an old newspaper described the growing rate of crime in the city, listing new gangs sprouting up as the root of this unforeseeable epidemic.