Prologue

Author's Note: This story features an original character (OC), so if you're not a fan of OCs, you can skip reading it. However, if you're willing to give it a chance, I promise you won't be disappointed.

The OC in this story is inspired by a real person, but I've made quite a few changes (a lot, actually, hehe).

By the way, I wanted to let you know that I've made some alterations to Shirokawa-Go village to make it unique and fictional. In this version, it experiences constant snowfall, and winter lasts throughout all four seasons. I personally have a strong fondness for winter, snow, and the cold, so I made my character share this passion. However, I assure you that I'll balance this out by making other aspects of the story more realistic in the future.

Update: So, I've made up my mind to keep the original date intact, setting it in 2014. This means that Kiyo-bro was born in 2007, which is crucial for my plot. Since Misa actually graduated from NDA in 2014, I'll have their first encounter take place in the same year.

About Kiyotaka's birth year being 2000, that isn't entirely accurate because Shougo Kinugasa, the author, didn't specify his birth year.

***

My name is Misa Matsushima, and I am currently 17 years old. Life has thrown many challenges my way, starting with the loss of my father when I was just 9 years old. A devastating car accident took him away from us, leaving a void in my heart. Two years ago, I experienced another painful loss when my mother passed away due to illness. Sadly, I was unaware of her deteriorating condition as I was studying at the National Defense Academy, living on its campus. The guilt of not being there for my mother during her final moments weighs heavily on me. I wish I had cherished the time we had together and made more meaningful memories.

Despite these hardships, I managed to graduate from the National Defense Academy. However, my dreams of becoming a fighter pilot were shattered when I lost vision in my left eye. It all started in 2013 when I first noticed my eyesight deteriorating. Day by day, my vision worsened, and by the end of that summer, I had lost complete sight in my left eye. As a young adult who had lost both parents, the probate courts had the responsibility to determine my guardians. However, I had the right to reject adoption and had the financial support from the money I earned during my education at the National Defense Academy.

In 2047, after graduating, I made the decision to move to Shirokawa-go and purchased a small territory in the countryside. The property came with a humble hut and was already furnished, saving me the trouble of buying new things. I settled into this peaceful village, hoping to find solace and a sense of routine amidst the pain and loss I had experienced.

For some time, my life in Shirokawa-go remained uneventful and predictable, until a certain individual entered my life...

POV MISA:

I woke up to the soft glow of the morning light filtering through my frost-covered window. As I stretched beneath the warm covers, I could hear the wind whistling outside, carrying with it the soft whispers of falling snow. Shirokawa-go, the village I now called home, was known for its never-ending winter, blanketing the landscape in a serene white cloak.

With a sense of anticipation, I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and placed my feet on the cold wooden floor. The chill sent a shiver up my spine, but I quickly bundled up in layers of cozy clothing, preparing myself for the frigid weather that awaited outside. Donning a thick winter coat, a knitted hat, and insulated gloves, I made my way to the kitchen, eager to fill my belly and start the day.