Have You Been Up to Check the Kids?

A teenage girl was asked to babysit for a family that lived in a huge, luxurious house. It was her first evening on the job and, after she put the children to bed upstairs, she sat down in front of the TV. But no sooner had she settled there than the phone rang. The caller was a man. Gasping and laughing menacingly, he asked, "Have been up to check the children?"

The babysitter hung up, convinced that her friends were playing a joke on her, but the man called again, and again he asked, "Have you been up to check the children?" Again, she hung up, now frightened, but the man called a third time. This time, he said, "I've taken care of the kids, now I'm coming for you!"

By now, the babysitter was truly terrified. She called the police and reported the calls. The police told her to try to distract the man the next time he phoned to give them time to trace the call.

As expected, the man called back. The babysitter begged him to leave her alone, thus keeping him on the line for longer. Eventually he hung up. Immediately, the phone rang again. This time, it was the police: "Leave the house fast! The calls are coming from upstairs!"

[From Be Afraid... Be Very Afraid. The Book of Scary Urban Legends, by Jan Harold Brunvand].