SUPPOSED TO BE IN LOVE

••••

"So am I seeing you later or what?" Keith asked me.

I smiled and shook my head. "You won't stop asking me until I say yes will you?" I took a breath and looked back up at him. "Look, I don't want you to misunderstand what's going on between us. I like you a lot and would love to have a friendship, but I'm still married and until I decide what road that takes, I think we should take it easy."

He nodded. "That's a no?"

I laughed and little before answering. "That's not a no. I just wanted to make sure lines were very clear. I would love to see you, but not tonight. I have a banging headache and I'm not feeling very well. But maybe in the morning we can go for breakfast?"

"I respect that. I'm down for that as well. You can call me when you wake up and I'll be ready."

I nodded and smiled. "Sounds good. Goodnight." I sweetly.

"Goodnight." He said before kissing my hand and walking away.

I turned around to find Shelby and my mom smiling really hard. I couldn't do anything but burst out laughing.

"Okay, seriously you two! Cut it out. Y'all just heard me tell the man we need to take it easy."

"Mhm, I said the same thing to your father and look a here." My mom said.

"That actually scares me." I joked.

"I'm only kidding. I think you two would make great friends. Taking it easy isn't a bad idea, you two are very vulnerable and it just wouldn't be right. But if it does go elsewhere, I support it." She said kissing my forehead. "Goodnight princess."

"Night mommy." I said.

••••
Go stink (fuck it up)
Go stink (that's what's up)
Go stink (I'm in love)
Hey boo boo!
Too much complexity to learn from me Google

"This your song huh?" I said looking at Keith at he sang America Has a Problem Remix out loud.

"Aye, I don't care what people say, Beyoncé and Kendrick snapped with that one." He said eating his ice cream.

I just shook my head laughing. "I'm sorry I had to bail for breakfast, I couldn't get out the bed for nothing. Lunch is always up my alley though."

"It's cool. I had to handle some stuff with my attorney anyway."

"How's that going?" I asked softly.

He shrugged and turned the music down. "It's going. Just getting started and I'm already ready for it to be over, ya know."

It got silent as I started staring at him in his own world. He seemed so happy and in tuned with himself and I was feeling like I was interrupting him. His peace. His space.

"Hey, Keith." I spoke.

He looked at me giving me his undivided attention.

"Thanks for sticking up for me last night. I know kind of flipped on you but I didn't mean any harm."

"It's cool, Kay. I just watch my dad disrespect my mom over and over. I'd be damned if I watch another nigga do the same shit to another woman. You remind me so much of my mom and in that instant, that's all I saw. But I definitely won't overstep again though."

I smiled a little and blushed as well.

"How do you do that?" I asked.

"I definitely didn't learn it from my father. That's for damn sure."