Prologue: 1352 AD

"Through the existence of this timeline, the human race has just echoed on and on.
       One is born, one dies.
       One wins, one loses.
       All of the stories of life beginning and ending all at once.
      Until it sounds like endless noise you can't find a definable note in.
      But what if the line that defined the end and the beginning were a lot alike.
      Blurring.
      What if those stories didn't end so finally?
      What if those stories lived on?
      The life and the blood of the past living alongside the present and the future.
      What if the voices of the past never went quiet?
      What if they sang through us still?"
       She was reeling again, off balance, probably drunk again. But given the week we had had, I couldn't be mad. I wish I could try to let go like that. Except that's not how Odessa worked. Once she was into something she could never find her way out until it was finished. Even with the help of wine.
       So suddenly she spun, gripping my arms in a vise like grip that startled me as I blinked away the smell of the drink on her breath. As she was breathing heavily inches from my face.
      The sudden focus had me a little off balance as she stared with an intensity that had me stuck in place. An odd feeling to be locked in place but also faltering.
      As I was trying to gather my thoughts she began to mutter things. And then she whispered like she was keeping a secret, not the simple question she breathed out into the night.
     "What would it take to hear them?"
      Odessa just looked at me with large black eyes that were both sure and oddly enough, searching. As if she had come to some sizable realization, but was still trying to fathom it.