Chapter Twenty-two

The rest of the day went as normal, I went to combat, cheer practice, element manipulation, divination, so on and so forth. I was really falling into a perfect routine here. At combat, I sparred with Josephine and managed to land a few good hits on her. She was fast and fierce, but I was agile and smart. We both respected each other's skills and shook hands after the match. At cheer practice, I learned a new routine that involved flipping in the air and catching a fireball. It was exhilarating and fun, and I felt a surge of adrenaline as I nailed the move. At element manipulation, I practiced controlling water and air, creating waves and whirlwinds with my mind. It was soothing and relaxing, and I felt a connection with nature as I shaped the elements. At divination, I read the tarot cards and the tea leaves, trying to decipher their meanings. It was intriguing and mysterious, and I felt a curiosity as I glimpsed the future.

At noon Mrs.Clark announced that Aria had came in first place and I was in second, Josephine in third. I was happy for Aria, she deserved it. She smiled at me and gave me a hug, congratulating me on my performance. Josephine looked a little sick, like she didn't think she would make it this far. I felt proud of myself for doing so well in the competition.

But as I got up to go to the next event, I felt a little queasy. A wave of nausea washed over me, making me dizzy and weak. I clutched my stomach and leaned against the wall. Hoping, praying that this event isn't as horrific as the last.

They separated us and dragged us to different rooms on the west wing. No words, no explanations, just rough hands and cold stares. I stumbled into a dark chamber, barely able to make out the outlines of the furniture. It felt like a tomb.

I groped my way to the window and lifted a corner of the heavy curtain. Dust motes danced in the faint light. Everything was covered in plastic, frozen in time. I wondered if I was the first living soul to enter this place in years.

A rattling sound came from the supply closet. I froze, hoping it was just a rat. But the noise persisted, growing louder and more frantic.
Carefully, I tiptoed around the vintage furniture that littered the room. Dust and plastic crinkled under my feet. I reached for the closet door and pulled it open.
A scream rose in my throat, but I clamped my hand over my mouth and stumbled backwards. It was me, but with wings. Wings that looked like they had been ripped from my back. They lay on the floor behind me, dull white with faded sky blue tips. Blood stained the feathers and my clothes. I stared at myself in horror.

I have to get a grip, this is fake.

I cradle the wings gently in my arms, feeling their weight and warmth. They are soft and smooth, like silk. I wonder how they would feel if they were still attached to me.

I lead her to a chair in front of the window, where I lay the wings across the desk. The sunlight makes them shimmer faintly. I look at them with awe and sadness.

"I don't know what to do, I don't even know what I'm being tested on.." I let out in aggravation, literally talking to myself.

She tilts her head up at me.

"Don't think of me, as you. What would you do if you came across an angel that wasn't you, in this situation.. how would you help?"

"She's testing my unique abilities, isn't she?" I question the other me.

She simply nods in agreement then faces towards the window, revealing her wounded back once more.