.26

Winnie's POV

"What are you doing here?" Paul's never been one for hellos.

"Now, that's not very nice to say to someone who brought you a burger." I offer up the to-go bag from the Lodge, raising it up high by my head.

"Did you bring fries?" Paul's hand hovers over the latch of the screen door. His narrowed eyes telling me the reason I stopped by unannounced better have a side of fries.

"Fries and onions rings." Paul lets me in, holding the screen door wide for me to enter his trailer. The smell of cigarettes hits me, but only for a moment. It's much more faint now than it originally was when we helped Paul moved back in. Barely noticeable now, faintly smelling like bitterness before the rest of the trailer scents take over; the smell of fresh laundry, some musky aftershave or deodorant, then the smell of the woods.

The trailer is clean as a nineteen year old boy living on his own can keep it. There's a pile of folded laundry left hallway done on the couch, and a few stray empty water bottles lying around. A few pairs of shoes wait at the door to be either laced up or put away, but till Paul decides what to do with them that's where they'll stay. I know good and well Paul will get to them when he can. I'm quite impressed how there's nothing on the floor while everything is in its place. Paul even rearranged the living room furniture. He's certainly keeping it better than his dad did.

"Are you checking up on me? You brought food, are you trying to make sure I'm eating?" Paul jokes, clearing the table of a small pile of mail and a crumb spotted plate from breakfast.

"Maybe" I shrug, unloading our to go boxes.

"Is this about Embry?" Paul asks knowingly, giving me a raised brow.

"Yes to both." I admit, never one to flat out lie. Though I do hold the burger out to distract him or maybe bribe him. I practically wag it in front of him like a dog bone.

"You're trying to fatten me up." Paul stalls, looking between me and the burger.

"I'm trying to feed you." I narrow my eyes at him. "And ask you a few questions." Placing the burger neatly back on the table, I offer Paul to sit.

"You can ask all you want, but there's nothing I can tell you." Paul shrugs.

"So there is something wrong?"

"Drop it, Winnifred." Paul waves off.

"Did I tell you I brought you two burgers?" I pull out another to-go box. "And they're both double patty." His jaw clenches. "With cheese, Paul." He's already taking a bite out of the burger before he's even fully in the chair.

"Do you like the burger?" Paul's enthusiastic nod is answer plenty. "How's it been being back home?" I ask before getting straight to the point. Paul stops mid chew, his eyes flickering with sharpness before taking a deep breath and shrugging off my question.

"It's been like it's always been." Paul's answer makes me decide these visits are going to happen more often. Maybe next time I'll bring him something healthier, or maybe I should sneak some veggies in his burger next time.

"If you want to talk about Embry, you should." Paul says between bites. Though, I suspect he's only saying that because he doesn't want to talk about himself.

"Did Jacob or Embry tell you about yesterday at the Lodge?" I don't even wait a second to fire my question.

"Embry did." I'm taken aback Paul answered at all. I was ready for at least a bit of a back and forth.

"He called you last night?" Paul freezes at my answer.

"Sort of." Paul shrugs. "I'm guessing he didn't call you?"