.5

Embry's POV

"Good morning," I yawn, reaching across to pop open the passenger door for Winnie.

"Um, thanks for the ride again." Winnie says, ducking out of the rain to climb in. I almost grin at her when she settles into the seat, happy to see her even this early in the morning. I don't even care how she gets my interior damp with her mossy green raincoat. After years of not speaking to my imprint, it's nice to have her right next to me. She fits nicely into the seat, like it was meant for her to ride in it this entire time. My eyes flick to the rearview mirror to check there's not a stupid grin on my face, my hand rising up to cover my mouth and straighten out the lines of my face just in case. Thank god I'm too tired from patrol, or I might have stretched across to take her up in my arms and give her a peck good morning. If I did, Winnie would probably walk to work instead, right after trying to sucker punch me.

"Not a problem." I shrug off, cranking up the heat for her so she'll dry off.

It's early. Too damn early. The sun is not even out yet, the sky is still a dim blue and the street lights are still on. I was out all night patrolling with Jacob, running from coast to boarder all across the res with him till the sky began to lighten, then I came straight here to pick up Winnie. I struggle to keep my eyes open behind the wheel, my head feeling heavy with my drooping eyelids, which makes Winnie eye me worriedly. Shifting right back, then jumping into my van meant I'm not dressed for the weather again, only in cut offs and I don't have shoes to push the pedals with. The rain is too icy today instead of humid, which I know makes me look odder.

"Did you sleep okay?" I ask, genuinely concerned if she got enough rest for work, or if she just tossed and turn all night over her car.

"Ugh, yeah. I did." Winnie responds after a beat. We've barely held a conversation between us, never really saying much than a meal order till now. "Did you?"

"Err, I worked late last night." I say in-between another yawn. I can see Winnie pause, her brown eyes narrowing in thought, and I can already see the internal clock ticking in her mind.

"You worked late last night?" She asks, her face deepening into a frown when I nod.

"After you gave me a ride? Wasn't that around midnight?" Crap, she's putting two and two together. I stall a moment, but nod anyway.

"It's six now." She checks the dash. "Did you even sleep?" I wince, not admitting to anything. She finally turns to me, giving me her full dismayed attention.

"You should have said something. Did I make you late for work?" Winnie presses in quiet disbelief.

"No, don't worry about it." I shake my head, hands going clammy against the wheel. "You were stuck on the side of the road at one AM. I wasn't going to just leave you out there."

"And now it's six in the morning. You could be sleeping right now, not driving me all over town." Winnie sits up in the seat, and I almost grin at how she's worried about me. If we were closer, if the night at the beach hadn't happened, I'd tease her about it. But all things I would say and want to say sit at the base of my throat, just clogging up my wind pipe with would haves and could haves.

"It's not a problem, Winnie. It's just an extra fifteen minute drive." I assure her, "I have all day to sleep. Just let me take you to work." She doesn't relax back into the seat, but doesn't bring it up again. Winnie keeps doing sidelong looks at me, her eyes flicking worriedly between the road then back to me. I clamp down on my jaw to keep myself from laughing, a chuckle or two nearly slipping through whenever she gives me big concerned eyes.