Chapter One: The Beginning

Toby Underwood - known better as Tubbo - the son of the local innkeeper, had just turned sixteen a few days ago. And the young boy had been putting his best work into working at the inn since the celebration. He was determined to make his father proud and prove that he could run the inn one day. After all, each generation before him had done the same.

Sunlight flitted through the thin curtains of the burnette's room, the sun barely above the horizon. Lucky for Tubbo, the teen had developed an internal clock after many years of working for his family. Opening his eyes slowly, Tubbo yawned and slowly sat up from his twin bed. Moving the green quilt off himself, the brunette teen stretched his arms above his head slowly. The short teen stood up and shambled lazily to his large dresser. Opening it, he grabbed a green button-up shirt and patched-up jeans. The teen changed out of his loose pajamas and ran a hand through his disturbed hair. Fumbling around a different drawer, Tubbo retrieved a small wooden comb and brushed it through his fluffed-up hair.

The teen then left his room and slipped on a pair of leather shoes that sat atop the stairs. He descended the steps and entered a large room that appeared to be part cafe and part bar. The brunette grabbed a white apron from a hook and a cloth. Nearby the bar sat a bottle with a scribbly label. Tubbo took his time wiping down the already clean counter, just to be sure it was presentable for customers. Afterward, he took the chairs down from the tops of the tables, organizing them carefully. He opened the curtains of the front-facing windows, allowing the bits of sunlight to trickle in.

Soon enough, the rest of his family was waking up. His father started cleaning up the kitchen in the back while his mom sorted out the baked goods from the previous day. Lani eventually came down and aided her mother in re-writing the chalkboard menu. Tubbo opened the large double doors, each of them propped open by steel door stoppers. Retreating back behind the counter, Tubbo grabbed a stale croissant and quickly ate it. Lani and his mom had finished the menu, propping it back above the bar.

The town had started walking up, with many people passing by the inn. The morning regulars started trickling in one by one, each ordering their usual. By early afternoon, most travelers had already stopped in or quickly picked up a small item. Tubbo was silently wiping down the bar for the umpteenth time when a loud blonde entered the inn in the late afternoon.

"Tubbo, my friend!" The blue-eyed teen boomed, drawing the attention of the few patrons. The brunette sighed fondly as his friend strutted to a seat at the bar, throwing himself into the stool dramatically. "I'll have my usual." The blond declared, removing a few coins from his patchy khaki pockets. He wore his usual maroon sweater and still adorned his leather apron from his working at the blacksmith. He was currently apprenticing for his father to be the next to run the shop.

"That'll be three silvers from you big man." The brunette told his friend as he slid a cola bottle to the other teen. Tommy grabbed the glass and opened the cap with his leather-gloved hands. The blonde dropped his coins onto the table and frowned. It was two silvers and some lint. The teen smiled up at his friend nervously.

"Tubbo, my friend." Tommy said shakily with a "charming" smile. Tubbo gave him an unimpressed stare. "C'mon man, it's just one off!" The blond declared, his tone quickly shifting to his usual snippy loud mouth. Tubbo rolled his eyes with a resigning sigh.

"Fine," the brunette said, Tommy pumping his fist in the air, "but it's going on your tab." Tommy sputtered in defiance a few times but dropped the argument when he said Tubbo's death stare. The blonde took a swig of his drink, savoring the cold beverage. Tubbo noted that the other teen had soot on his clothes and face. Tommy placed the glass on the counter with a dramatic sigh.

"It's been a long day, my friend." The blond told his friend, leaning back slightly. Tubbo nodded idly as he wiped out a glass cup from nearby. "But the dagger I made today didn't immediately fall apart, isn't that sick?" Tommy had been spending ages trying to make the "perfect" sword but quickly learned swords were actually not that easy to make. So he started small, with daggers.