𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞

Chapter 5: The Honeymooners' Hideaway

Standing as proud and straight as a green arrow in the distance was the unmistakable Maito Gai, arms folded and grinning toothily. His pearly teeth gave off a shine and he made a show of winking at Sasuke, whose hands were suddenly cold and clammy. Beside Gai's lean figure was his ever present and faithful protégé, Rock Lee, who also winked and flashed a thumb-up. Sasuke was suddenly thankful of having Naruto in between him and the eccentric, green-clad duo. At least, if Gai and Lee came after him, he could always sacrifice the blonde and buy himself a head start in the opposite direction.

There was an abrupt green and black blur, and the next thing Sasuke knew, Lee had his arms tightly secured around his waist and was sobbing uncontrollably. Gai, his arm swung around Sasuke's neck, also had thick rivulets of tears running down his cheeks.

"Ahh, young love! Such a sweet thing should be cherished forever. So pure and beautiful—it makes my heart ache!" Gai declared passionately, his hold unconsciously tightening around Sasuke's throat, causing the Uchiha to almost gag as his windpipe was squeezed painfully.

"Yes, t-teacher! I-It's j-just so... so touching," agreed Lee, who buried his wet face into Sasuke's shoulder.

"Sasuke, promise me that you'll treasure and protect her forever! For she must be the rarest of jewels to have caught the eye of an Uchiha! Not to mention, she'll soon be the unlucky target of many broken hearts in Konoha. Promise me!"

"I p-promise," Sasuke choked out.

"It is the perfect season for mating. Love is in the very air we breathe in. Even the animals are mating, you know!"

Especially that stupid, perverted fox over there, Sasuke wanted to say, but only managed, "L-Let me g-go..." He struggled, trying to free his arm, but his attempts were futile against Lee's relentless grip. He glanced at Naruto and was even more irritated at the happy smirk Naruto was sporting at his misfortune. He should've fed Naruto to the duo and made a break for it when he had the chance.

"S-Sasuke, I-I'd j-just like to c-congratulate you. I never t-thought..." Lee's voice faltered as he succumbed to another bout of tears.

"Me too! It moves me deeply how you married her in secret out of love and consideration for her safety." Gai finally removed his arm—only to deliver a hard clap to Sasuke's back. "You have no idea how much I'm dying to see the beautiful children!"

"Oh, S-Sasuke, you know h-how much I care," Lee sniffed, "about S-Sakura. I g-guess I just w-want to..." another sniff and a gulp, "thank you for taking care of her..."

Naruto snorted. Sasuke immediately felt guilty for all the times he'd mistreated his teammate. Then remembered how much of an annoyance—she just doesn't get that he doesn't care about her like that—Sakura had been and his guilt readily ceased.

"...and to w-wish you g-good l-luck with your... your wife." The last word was uttered awkwardly as if the concept of Sasuke actually having a wife had just sunk in.

"Yes, of course. That is why we—"

"SASUKEEEE!" A shrill shriek pierced the air.

Sasuke cringed. Naruto plugged his ears. Both Lee and Gai were frozen in shock.

Rapidly approaching them down the street was a stampede of determined girls ranging from furious to vengeful to heartbroken. The ground beneath them rumbled and shook with their thunderous footsteps. Sasuke felt his face drain of colour and his knees go jelly-like. Thankfully, Lee was still clutching him in that impossible vice-like grip of his.

Oh Hokage, anything but fangirls! Of all the evildoers and criminal masterminds Sasuke had ever had the fortune of coming across, fangirls were the absolute worst. They were merciless and obsessive and civilians. You couldn't simply fight back—the only thing you could do when pursued by besotted fangirls was to run away and pray your stamina lasted. And as Sasuke knew from many past experiences, fangirls were uncannily clever and deadly persistent. They could sniff you out if you remain in a place too long and their stalking skills were almost on par with a high-classed ninja's. And once they got you, there was no escape.