Chapter two

"Cat, cat we're gonna be late!" yelled a concerned Madonna. she had her hair up in a tight ponytail.

she was wearing a new black blouse and white shorts.

"Shopping again Maddie?" she thought. She knew her friend couldn't help herself.

Madonna was one of the cutest girls she had ever met, with a diamond-like face with soft round edges, bright pink lips, unrealistically long eyelashes, soft green eyes and red hair.

"Quit daydreaming Cat, old man Creg would come looking for us if we don't get out of here fast enough" she hollered while trying to calm down a squirmy child while fumbling with her phone.

"You gonna take Lulu with you?" Catalina was on her feet now, slipping on her coat which was lying seductively on her desk. she hadn't realized she had fallen asleep. Lulu had calmed down a bit.

'poor thing' was always the first thing she thought of when saw her.

They where halfway down the stairs when Madonna suddenly stopped her. In a whisper she said "Cat, I sincerely think you need help" Catalina laughed, but when she saw she wasn't joking, she fell silent. "Cat...I'm serious. I hate seeing you like this".

Catalina squeezed her hand "don't worry Maddie, I'm fine...really" Madonna didn't believe her.

Cat couldn't blame her .she didn't believe those words either. That was the third time that week and it was even worse.

why was it always her? she wondered. She pushed those negative thoughts aside and tried to focus on getting a sleepy Lulu into the car.

As they were pulling out of the driveway of Aulldey's children's hospital where both of them worked. Maddie insisted she'd drive but she was visibly tired and poor dear Lulu was sick.

Maddie had been all over the place throughout that week, she felt the need to comfort her.

In the car she reached out to stroke Maddie's hair. She ended up driving after all. Maddie and Lulu were asleep now.

She loved Maddie, she would never tell her though. She noticed the hoodie draped over her and Lulu. It was Rex's .

Rex Ryan was Maddie's lover and Lulu's father. Arrested on the fifth of July for a murder he swore he knew nothing about.

Maddie believed that he was her soulmate, everyone else thought she was just crazy. Especially when they found out about her pregnancy. she was only sixteen then.

Five years later she was searching for ways to get him justice.

Poor Maddie, Rex getting out of jail was a dream that would never come to pass.

Maddie ached for him everyday . Catalina had to hide the fact that it made her happy.

Then she saw him,

Leaning towards her, she could smell his breath. She could hear his voice. The grin... the grin, not again. Without thinking she bolted out of the car.

Madonna jolted awake and frantically stepped on the breaks.

"Cat! Not again where are you?"yelled Madonna now in hot pursuit of her.

Catalina had started to run, ignoring the pain piercing into her head and neck.

Catalina hoped it was another dream. she rammed the keys to the rusty gates so hard the neighbours thought it was a break in.

"Oh hell no!"she screamed as she flung herself into the dry pool. She would end it right here. She would never have to suffer from this again. She heard someone's voice scream her name. She slammed her head harder on the ground. So hard she felt numb

"Cat, what do you think you're doing?" The silhouette of a man came into view. He looked absolutely appalled at the scene.

Catalina, now unconscious was put on a stretcher. Maddie was heaving in sobs.

"Oh Cat" where the last words she heard before slipping into what she hoped was the eternal abyss...