1

𝑴𝑶𝑵𝑨𝑪𝑶. Most people only dream to be here, but for me, it's more of a nightmare. Everything here reminds me of the past and what it could've been if my brother was still here. What it could've been if I hadn't left everything and everyone behind and left for London.

Coming back home has been the hardest decision of my life because I knew returning to Monaco meant meeting people I wanted to forget. Now here I am going back to everything I wanted to forget so badly.

I only came back twelve hours ago and my life has already been turned upside down. Apparently, my childhood best friends are getting married in a month. I never would have expected Charles and Marie to fall in love, well maybe because he was my boyfriend at the time we were friends, but nothing in my life is normal,so I can't say that I am surprised.

Let me tell you a little bit about Charles...

Pascale and my mother have been inseparable since their college years, which of course meant that the children need to have the same bond. Charles is two years older than me which growing up seemed like a lot. He was always telling me and Arthur what to do and he was very protective of us, too much I would even say. The three of us were inseparable.

That's until freshman year.

This was the year I realized that I liked Charles as more than a friend.

Later that year me and Charles went on our first date. When we told our families we were dating, it was like we were telling them he proposed. My mom and Pascale were probably about to die of excitement and Arthur was bragging about how we were going to ditch him to go on dates. Lorenzo didn't care, because apparently "he saw it coming, sooner or later", but he said that Jules would have loved seeing us making each other happy.

Dating Charles was probably the best thing that had happened to me ever since Jules' accident, but all great things have their ending too.

After three years of dating, Charles decided to focus on his career in Formula 1. He told me that our relationship was a distraction to him and called things off.

I was so young and heartbroken. I didn't leave my room for weeks, nothing mattered to me during these weeks. Until I decided to leave.

Hoping to finally find my peace, I moved to London and decided to pursue my dream of being a fashion designer. Three years later I had a job in one of the biggest fashion agencies in the world and I hadn't heard a thing about Charles.

Living alone in a different country is hard for most people and it was so hard for me, so I decided to move back home and visit my family.

And now here I am about to meet the person who was the reason for all of this again.

˖

As my parents and I are walking towards the Leclerc's front door, I am considering all my life choices. Why did I even agree to visit Pascale and her sons and why did I even come back? These are questions I sadly can't answer because I don't have an explainable answer.

Just as I was about to knock the front door opens and Pascale appears in front of my view, she hasn't changed a single bit and is still the gorgeous woman I remember all my life. "Oh my god, I can't believe I am seeing you again darling!" She exclaims. Pascale has always had a soft spot for me and treated me as her daughter because she always dreamed of having a daughter and she was stuck with three handsome boys.

"Hello, Pascale I have missed you so much!" I say as I pull her into a big hug. "Come on guys, the food is going to get cold," says Pascale as she invites us inside.

When I walk into the dining room I am greeted by the Leclerc brothers sitting on the table. Lorenzo with his wife and children, Arthur with his girlfriend Carla, and Charles was surprisingly alone. Does that mean that he isn't dating anyone?

I am quickly proven wrong when a gorgeous woman walks into the room and sits next to Charles, a very familiar woman. Then she turns to face me and everything clicks. Charles' current girlfriend is our childhood friend, Marie, now that's a plot twist. I never in a million years would have believed you if you told me Charles and Marie would have anything romantically related between each other, but I have once again been proven wrong.

"So have you heard the news, darling?" questions Pascale, and if looks could kill, Charles would have killed his dearest mom in second, which makes me even more intrigued "I am pretty sure I haven't," I state

"Well I'm going to let Marie herself tell you the exciting news!" Pascale squeals and at this moment I don't think that I want to hear what Marie has to say, but I listen anyway "So me and Charles are getting married in a month." Marie states with a big grin on her face and I swear somebody needs to pinch me right now because this feels like the worst nightmare I have ever had.

"Oh well, I am happy for both of you! Congratulations!" I say as I excuse myself to the bathroom, I know that this probably looks bad, but how was I supposed to react? My ex boyfriend and my childhood best friend told me that they were getting married and the first thing I did was leave the room.

As I was getting closer to the bathroom, which was on the other side of the house I felt footsteps behind me, already knowing who they belong to. "What do you want, Charles?" I question turning around to face him "I want to talk, Amelie!" looking at his face makes me want to close myself in an empty room and cry because I know this could have been us.

"There is nothing to talk about."

"Yes, there is, I can explain everything if you could just listen to me." I wish I didn't come back, because twelve hours in Monaco are already worse than a year in England.

"You don't need to explain anything to me, you deserve love and the fact that it is Marie giving you the things I couldn't give to you, only makes me happier!" lies, everything I said was a lie, because I do care that he is getting married and I do care that it is Marie he is getting married to.

Moments like these make me realize how much I miss Jules and his advice. Only if everything hadn't gone wrong...