16: Lattice Stitch

When the morning dawns, Harry and Elena yawn and stretch. Without worrying about morning breath, the two friends engage in a massive tongue battle, each fighting for dominance and giving up the power when the other takes control. The dozen condoms have dwindled to only nine, and Harry vows to use them all in the next few days, so they each make a promise to purchase a new box.

At the breakfast table, Harry sits in a chair in his boxer briefs while Elena sits across from him, her foot on his chair between his splayed legs. Languidly, she takes a fresh strawberry between her teeth, biting into the fruit so that juice runs down her chin, and she giggles as she collects it in her napkin. Harry's eyes zero in on her lips as she nibbles at the sweet berry. Her foot inches closer to his package hidden in those black underpants, and her large toe strokes at it. Grabbing her foot, he extends her leg onto his thigh as he massages her instep.

"None of that, my friend. We've got to get to the bank at open so you can buy your farmstead," Harry winks.

With her other foot, Elena kicks him in the shin. Squawking, he scowls at her, "Eh! What was that for?"

"I thought we banned the f word?" She challenges.

Sheepishly, he grins at her, "I'm sorry, my love. You're right. It's banned. But...." he begins, and she looks at him curiously, tilting her head, "But I do hope that we will remain friends even though we're now also lovers," he finishes.

Swallowing hard at the sentiment, Elena nods, "Yes. You're right. I adore having you for a friend -- someone I trust. Someone I can talk to -- or not talk to. Someone who makes me comfortable. Someone who knows me at a deeper level."

The moment has become almost too heavy as they gaze at each other, swallowing hard at the thought of what they had nearly thrown away.

"I sure hope your sister doesn't want her gloves back," Elena deadpans, causing Harry to laugh out loud.

"Just tell her we're keeping them as a memento. She doesn't need to know why they're a souvenir." Harry can't control his giggles now.

___________________

At the bank, everything goes smoothly. Elena had transferred all of her settlement money as soon as possible, so it's simply sitting at Barclay's, waiting to be used. The bank manager is a bit surprised at the transaction, especially as Harry insists that there be no additional interest payments. He wants Elena to only have to pay him exactly what he paid for the farm, even though she will have a 30 year mortgage.

"Thirty years is nothing," he scoffs, "Besides, I know she's good for it."

Elena beams with pride at his words, and yet she still tries to convince him to accept an interest rate. "What if in 10 years, we don't know each other? You might want more money from me then, and you'll be disappointed that you agreed to zero percent interest."

His withering look has Elena adjusting her thinking, as he responds glaringly, "Never. Even if you and I aren't speaking at that time, I will still remember that you belong on that farm. With those animals. So just accept the fucking terms, Elena, and sign the damn paperwork." The growled comment makes her flinch while also making her heart melt.

She places her hand over the fist he's clenched in his lap. Caressing the skin there, she smiles at him. "Thank you, Harry. You have no idea how much this means to me."

Eyes darkening, Harry responds without hesitating, "That's where you're wrong, my love. I know exactly what it means to you and your future. And I'm honored I can support your next steps."

"Sign here, miss," the bank manager says, and Elena, hand shaking, picks up the pen.

"I can't believe I'm doing this," she whispers as she writes her name with a flourish. There are multiple other places to sign and initial, but the first signature is the hardest. Elena is able to get through the rest of the paperwork without her head spinning too much.