CHAPTER 01

Jenan felt like his buttocks were about to fall off as he bounced on his seat for the nth time today. Buti na lang talaga at walang naka-usling bakal sa upuan niya, dahil kung hindi ay baka kanina pa siya namatay sa tetanus dahil sa walang katapusang pagtalbog niya sa bus na sinasakyan niya. He convinced himself that the trip was worth it. Kahit na baku-bako ang kalsada at namumuti na ang bintana dahil sa kumakapit ditong alikabok, alam niyang maganda naman ang lugar na pupuntahan niya. It's summer, and after finally finishing college, he has decided to do some extreme adventuring. Kaya naman kahit na magmula kaninang umaga pa siya bumibiyahe ay mataas pa rin ang energy niya.

About a month ago, while browsing for some lesser-known tourist spots, Jenan came across a social media post showing a towering waterfall amidst a sea of jungle. It was posted by a newly-opened mountain resort in the area. The placed immediately ticked a lot of boxes in Jenan's travel checklist that's why he immediately booked a reservation for the resort, a plane ticket, and a bus ride.

Unfortunately for Jenan, the place was a little too secluded, at ngayon nga ay lagpas na ng alas-tres ng hapon at kakaunti na lang silang nasa loob ng bus. The view was starting to look promising, though. Thick forests started to clothe the terrain on either sides of the road, and whenever the dense trees part to give them a wider view of the horizon, Jenan would be greeted by lush, towering mountains basking in the rays of the late-afternoon sun. He was even able to finally open the grimy windows of the bus to let in a rush of cold and fresh air.

Finally, after a sore butt and an aching lower back, Jenan reached his stop. Although, to be honest, it wasn't really a bus stop. It was more like a crossroad in the middle of nowhere. Alam lang ni Jenan na nakarating na siya sa lugar na pupuntahan niya dahil sa isang kinakalawang na road sign sa gilid ng kalsada.

"Catalina," Jenan whispered, squinting his eyes to read the rusted sign.

The road in front of him wasn't exactly a decent one. It was just a dirt path lined on both sides with trees and shrubs. Jenan checked his watch and it's already half-past three in the afternoon. He wasn't really afraid of being alone in the woods since he's been in similar situations before, but it wasn't in his plan to spend the night in this unfamiliar place, so he immediately gathered his luggage and started heading to his destination.

Hindi pa man din siya nakalalayo nang biglang mapatigil sa paglalakad si Jenan. Despite being a city person, he has grown accustomed to the sounds of nature due to his numerous trips before. The noise that he just heard, however, didn't feel natural at all.

It was a series of sharp crackles, like something heavy walking over a bunch of dead leaves. It also stopped the moment Jenan stopped walking. Sigurado naman siyang hindi siya ang may gawa ng ingay dahil wala naman siyang dahon na natapakan. As he tried to listen for any more unusual sounds, a gentle breeze suddenly blew against him, ruffling the trees in the area. Jenan squinted behind the trees, hoping to see any movements that may help reveal the source of the sound. The crickets, which had been singing loudly earlier, also fell deathly silent in instant. Jenan knew that he wasn't alone.

A dark figure suddenly appeared just behind him.

"Pupunta ka ba ng Catalina?"

Despite his considerably heavy baggage, Jenan almost jumped a clean one meter into the air. Humawak na lang siya sa dibdib niya bago niya hinarap ang taong nagbawas ng ilang taon sa buhay niya. Isang lalaki na nakasakay sa kalabaw na may hilang kariton ang bumungad kay Jenan.

"Ah. . . opo. . ." sagot ni Jenan na nagkunwari na lang na hinihingal sa paglalakad.

"Sumakay ka na," sabi ng lalaki. "Aabutan ka na ng dilim sa daan kung maglalakad ka pa. Hindi mo gugustuhing maabutan ng gabi rito."