Chapter XIX ⚠️

Elysia Wolfe

I can hear them now calling me a blood traitor but how could I betray my mate? How could I slay and kill the one person meant to hold half of my heart for all eternity? The person I've spent so long, longing for in my dreams. The person that was made for me—whose fate with along with mine was written in the stars.

Such a shame he had to be a witch.

I wished I could express that love out loud for all of the clan to see. I mourned the idea with the hard pill I had to swallow.

My clan came first, they always came first.

But he, he would haunt me until my last days and I'd be a feral dog just waiting for love to knock on her door and then Isla gets what she wants—her revenge.

I got off my horse with ease and chained him to the side of the barn. I took off my gloves and along with the rest of my clothing such as my coat and boots. As I got stripped down, I breathed out a heavy sigh full of nothing but defeat and longing for Alistair. When I entered the manor I walked down the right wing to his room.

I knock on Alistair's door to see him shirtless. He had been getting ready for bed as his hair was combed over and his candles were lit. "Alistair." I say. I shut the door behind me and look at him with tears in my brown eyes.

Concern racks over his face and before he asks all the questions I say, "I see how you look at me." I say out loud. "Ever since you got here I have been trying so hard to deny this spark between us, this taboo. You are the brother of the woman who killed my mother. You are my prisoner, my protector, my mate." I admit. "I've spent so long looking for you." I say.

"Feels like a dirty word, doesn't it? Knowing you're fated to the enemy." Alistair says. He stands up and motions me to come closer. I hesitantly walk over to him and he cups my face with a gentle touch that brings me to life. He wipes away the tears and softens his piercing gaze with care. "Why are you crying?"

"That's the thing, you're not just my enemy, you're my people's enemy and they know what your sister did. They know she's the one behind the prowler attacks and now they want to kill you to show her that alls fair in war. Even slaying her blood and they want me to do it, they want me to kill you. I can't do it, not now. Not since our bond has only grown with you being here."

"Kill me? They want to execute me for my sisters wrongdoing. Are you sure my sister did this?" He says with a shocked look.

"She did a spell on my father. She cursed Lycans." I hesitate. "How can I be with you at all? Your sister has hurt my people. My people have hurt your people."

"Elysia, you love your people. I know you'd choose them over anyone."

"I would but that was before I found you. The mate bond for Lycans is different than witches. Yes a witch can go mad without their mate but a Lycan goes feral and that I will not let happen!" I say with confidence. I take his hand off my face and hold it with our fingers intertwined. "I am not letting anybody win." I tried to say with a strong tone but my voice ends up breaking.

Alistair holds me in his arms and just lets me cry. His hot skin on mine causes me to only ever hold him tighter. These days my guilt for having visions of him have only intensified. After finding out of my mothers betrayal and the torture my father was undergoing, I needed somebody, I needed comfort. I escape from his enthralling embrace and find myself at a loss for words as I look into his beautiful green eyes.