Chapter 1: The Picnic

Mr. Plant had planned to have a nice weekend, doing nothing except watching the television. However, his friend Argos had planned the opposite. Argos had decided that the two of them would spend a nice day together at the park, unbeknownst to Mr. Plant. Just as Mr. Plant had turned the television on, his doorbell rang. He hadn't known of any visitors coming today, so he was upset. He counted to 10 and opened the door. Argos stood at the door with a picnic basket and a huge grin.

    "Hello Mr. Plant!" he excitedly greeted.

    Mr. Plant nodded in acknowledgement.

    "I know I forgot to ask beforehand, but I wanted to bring you to the park! I even made us a picnic!"

    Mr. Plant fiddled his hands together, staring at the basket.

    "Would you like to go?"

    He contemplated shutting the door and returning to his television, but he didn't want to hurt Argos's feelings. You shouldn't hurt the feelings of those you care about, no matter how much they annoy you. Mr. Plant shook his head in response to Argos's question.

    "Oh. I'm sorry to bother you then!" Mr. Plant could hear the disappointment in his voice, "I'll be there if you change your mind!"

    Somehow, even when he was that disappointed, he still managed to keep a smile on his face. Mr. Plant wondered how he did that. Argos turned to leave, but Mr. Plant grabbed his shoulder. Argos excitedly turned around.

    "Did you change your mind?"

    Mr. Plant shook his head and opened the door further, inviting Argos in.

    "Oh! Do you want me to come inside?"

    Mr. Plant nodded and Argos walked inside. Even if it wasn't what either one of them planned to do that day, they were still okay with this turnout. Mr. Plant motioned for Argos to come sit in front of his television. Argos set the picnic basket down beside the couch. The two sat on the couch watching one of Mr. Plant's favorite shows. Argos wasn't very interested in the program, but he was happy Mr. Plant was enjoying himself. As Mr. Plant was focused on the television, Argos studied the room. There were a few meaningful items gathered from their adventures displayed along the walls and tables. There was a dirty teacup in the sink, he'd must've had some tea this morning. As he noted a few other items, he noticed one in particular. A photo of Mr. Flower. He looked back to Mr. Plant. They were just friends, right? There was nothing to worry about. The letter he'd never delivered to Mr. Plant flashed in his mind. He still had it hidden under his bed, unopened. He should read it when he gets home. Mr. Plant faced Argos and waved. He could see the discomfort on Argos's face. What happened? Did he do something wrong? He had an idea to distract Argos from whatever was worrying him. He didn't like when Argos was upset. Mr. Plant stood up and opened the picnic basket.

    "What are you doing?" Argos asked, standing up.

   He watched as Mr. Plant took out the blanket he'd packed for them to eat on and laid it on the floor between the sofa and television. Mr. Plant pointed at the basket and waved to the blanket.

    "You want to have the picnic here? I guess that could work." Argos said, setting food out onto the blanket.

    Mr. Plant made tea for the both of them, and they had a picnic in Mr. Plant's living room. The plan to distract him worked, however, because Argos stopped seeming worried. This pleased Mr. Plant. He was able to help his friend. Perhaps he should spend time with Argos more.