CHAPTER 8

We walked down the forest, and past the houses me and Claire walked past by.
I sighed and turned around to the boy walking next to me. He had long black hair and was missing an eye, he was wearing a patch.

"Hi" He said as he walked next to me.

"Hey" I said and smiled a bit, he looked young.

"I'm Caleb" he introduced himself to me.

I smiled a bit "Layla" I responded.

"Where are you from? You're new here to camp" he told me.

I nodded my head "Yeah me and Claire came from the city" I told him "Have you ever been to the city?"

He shook his head "no, not since, this started. Vincent found me, he saved my life"

I looked at him, he was walking ahead of us with Jake "how so?" I asked

He sighed, "I lost my parents when all this started, so, I was alone for a while. Wandering the streets alone, and one day a the men found me, but Vincent was there and he killed them. And he took me into his camp, back then it was only him and his brother, but then we found more people and we brought them in"

I looked down "thats nice of him" I whispered

"That was all him, he pretends to be tough and all, but hes really sweet once you get to know him. But dont tell him I told you that"

I laughed "okay, I wont I promise" I said, I stared at him for a moment "hey how old are you?" I asked.

He waited a while "20" he said, I looked at him once more and smiled a bit.

"Youre not 20" I squinted my eyes.

"I am" he said, chuckling a bit.

I shook my head "youre not fooling me".

"16" he sighed.

I scoffed "why would they bring you on this mission?" I frowned.

"They dont know how old I really am, I dont tell them, otherwise they wont bring me along"

We walked a few miles more and we stopped to rest, it was 5. We sat down on the ground. I opened my backpack and took out a water bottle taking a small sip and sighed.

"Lets get moving, were loosing daylight" Vincent said as he stood up, I sighed and stood up too and we walked more.

I caught up to Jake and walked beside him for a moment. "Hey" he said acknowledging my presence.

"How much farther?" I asked, the sun was setting.

"We should be there by tomorrow morning" he said.

He suddenly stopped walking and looked back.
"What's wrong?" i asked, he didn't answer. Before I could say anything he placed his hand on my mouth.

I frowned and pushed it off me. He stares at me for a moment.

"We are not alone" he whispered, i frowned and looked around. He made a signal to Vincent and Caleb.

We quietly began walking backwards, there was a car behind us, the car where I had stayed with Claire.
opened the door and we slid inside. He took his hand off my mouth, he closed the door quietly

"Jake what about Caleb and Vincent?" I whispered

"Theyre fine" he said, he looked through the foggy window, we heard growling coming from a distance, until we saw a ripper, he was walking on one foot. His face was all red and bloodied. I pressed a hand to my mouth, I was worried about Caleb and Vincent.