Chapter 48

I scream out as Jessica gets dragged under.

     "No!" I yell. I look back at Rachel. "Rachel, please! Don't do this! Fight her, Rachel. Fight her!"

     The water thrashes behind us as Jessica tries to swim free. Rachel howls. For a moment, I think it's a cry of victory. Then her head twitches and it's the old Rachel looking back.

     "You have to save---you have to---aagh!" Her head twitches, and this time she's half Rachel, half monster. "No!" she growls out, looking to the lake.

     And then I realize what she meant by call them.

     The water roils and seethes around us as the drowned creatures below flock to the pier. Bubbles and fins and talons churn from the water. On the opposite side, Jessica struggles up the shore. Bradley and the others have left her alone; they leap into the water, paddling our way with lightning speed. Paddling toward Rachel and me.

     The pier shudders. Tilts. The drowned below scratch and claw at the old wood, trying to get up. Trying to frag us down. I stumble. Topple against Rachel.

     "This is your fault," she growls. And then, "Hurry! There isn't much time!"

     The dock shifts again. Great chunks of wood splinter away. Rahel howls and grabs for me, but I shove the sketchbook at her. She latches on to it, twists it away, but I don't let go, even though it nearly topples me.

     I wait until the dock shifts again. This time, I yank the book toward me, toward the lower side of the dock, and spin out of the way just in time, releasing the sketchbook as she tumbles past me.

     She yells out once. Throws the book high into the air as she plummets forward.

     As she falls into the water.

     I stand there, at the water's edge, looking down as she is dragged under by the drowned. As they claw at her, surround her.

     The last thing I see is her face---Rachel's face, her true face. She is smiling at me.

     Then the monsters swarm her, and she is carried below the water forever.