the summer summit

——————・❪ 🦦 ❫ ・——————

The Summer Summit could not have come sooner.

Trumpets and violins sang, and the birds chirped alongside the melodious harmonies of the ceremonial music that played throughout the river's grand shoreline. The governors walked down from their throne at the top of the elm tree.

They were beautiful— Donned in white gowns, the king and queen took a graceful walk down the wooden stairs swirling around the elm tree, the music swelled around them, and as they appeared underneath the fairy lit veranda, they addressed their citizens with a quick bow and the music grew quiet. It hadn't completely ceased, never going completely silent, but its quietness was associated with the serenity that a new generation of working Lutrinae would bring.

"Citizens of Lutertown," the queen began, her voice laced with honey. Hearing it brought butterflies to the stomachs of many; Stanley included. "I hope that you are all well and well rested." It was interesting, she always worried of their wellbeing first, then the matter at hand. "We know we have had a rather prosperous last year with our last generation of workers, and we are most grateful that we have such a bountiful generation to bring new fortune to our small community next year. Please," she paused, "step up to the stone."

The stone stood so small below their foot; it was practically as if their tiny little paw way back when was not touching the same exact pebble that their foot was now. But it was the same pebble.

Alongside Stanley, their whole generation. All of them ready to take their jobs.

The medics got sorted, then the hunters, and then, it was their turn— then the couriers. And lastly, the lifeguards.

As expected, many large, broad, and muscled males and females got chosen for the task. Mostly males, as they had the physical strength and structure far better for the job than the females, but there were quite a few females ready for the job as well. They were chosen to do what not everyone could, and Stanley, among their pride for their peers, beheld a male's gaze with envy in theirs— and he, instead of disdain, looked at them with understanding and sympathy. And they accepted it, head bent. Loss taken.

At the end of the ceremony, the newest of the lifeguard troops swam up the river. Free.

The king congratulated each of the new lifeguards for their swimming, their survival, and their triumph and rise above the rest of their generation. The chosen few. They were given badges, tools, and a special pin of honor that they ought to always wear on their red, eye-stinging vest. It was the vest of the elite lifeguard unit; even Aldan had it, but he'd hidden it in his hut a long time ago and opted for a tactical black vest, instead. He still wore the golden pin in the shape of a buoy on the left side of his chest. Stanley always preferred the black vest over the red. They thought the golden pin popped out better.