Chapter 3- A red cheek

Ellard sat back as he admired the once deserted attic which looked new again. He was proud of himself, that was until he remembered his stepmother's words and his mood soon sank. He leaned back, his eyes drooping. 'Is this really all just dress up or some kind of phase,' he thought to himself. His eyes once more became puffy, he felt a tear roll down his eyes. Before he could continue he stopped himself, he had forgotten about the time. He frantically started stumbling down the stairs, "Damnit!" he exclaimed as he tripped over his feet. It was already 20 minutes past noon, he had lost track of time just sitting there. 'How could I be so stupid?!' he thought to himself. He stopped once he had reached stepmothers room. He quietly knocked, waiting for an answer. "Come in." he heard her say from the other side of the door. He walked in unaware of what awaited him in the room. "Are you aware of the time?" she said blankly, staring at him. "Y-yes ma'am.." he mumbled under his breath. "Speak up!" she ordered. "Yes ma'am!" he said chills running down his spine. He had placed his hands in front of him over his lap looking down. "Look at me when I speak, Ella." she said glaring at him. He cringed at the sound of his dead name. He lifted his head up just in time for her to say, "Didn't I tell you to change?!" she said walking towards him. "No,," he testified even though you could barely hear him. She stopped in her tracks, "Excuse me," she said, her eyes piercing. "You didn't tell me to change," he said, making direct eye contact. She immediately slapped him to the floor, "Learn to respect your mother, Ella. and go change now." she told him, walking out of the room.

Tears started to roll down his eyes as he held his hand up to his very red cheek. His stepmother had always verbally abused him, not only that but made him her slave.-- but it had never gone to this extent. The worst part about it was he didn't blame her..but he blamed himself.

Word Count-366

A/N- MOTIVATION has come back to me! Turns out the key to motivation is mental illness.. and insomnia. I'm not okay :')