🌾 Chapter Twenty-Seven : Shattered Bonds

SHATTERED BONDS

SHATTERED BONDS

The dimly lit police station was filled with tension as Mr. Spencer, a distinguished professor of criminology, and Inspector Thompson engaged in a heated discussion. 

The year was 1958, and the town was plagued by the presence of dangerous mafias, including the notorious East End Mafia of London, led by Marc June and his associate, Lorenzo, an Italian Mafia. 

Unbeknownst to the town, Mr. Spencer had a hidden role in working with the inspector to keep a close eye on these criminal organizations.

The inspector slammed his hand on the desk, frustration was evident in his voice. "We need to catch both Marc and Lorenzo, Arthur. They bring nothing but harm and danger to this town. Your reluctance to apprehend Marc is putting us all at risk!"

Mr. Spencer who known as Arthur Spencer sighed, running a hand through his graying hair. He understood the inspector's concerns, but he had his reasons for being cautious. 

"Thomas, I've been gathering crucial evidence on Lorenzo's operations, but I believe Marc holds vital information that could dismantle the entire network. If we move too hastily, we might lose our chance to bring them all down."

The argument continued, each man fervently defending his position. 

Arthur was torn between his duty to protect the town and his need to uncover the full extent of the criminal activities. 

However, as the conversation reached an impasse, he reluctantly conceded, realizing the urgency of the situation.

"Fine," Arthur relented, his voice tinged with frustration. "Go after Lorenzo, but do it alone. I'll focus on finding more evidence against Marc, even if it means working in the shadows."

The reason Arthur was hesitant to catch Marc June, apart from the valuable information he possessed, was deeply intertwined with his love for his daughter, Roséa.

Marc was not just a criminal, but also Rosea's husband. Arthur had seen the genuine love and affection between them, and he didn't want Rosea to suffer the consequences of her husband's actions.

As a father, Arthur couldn't bear the thought of Rosea being hurt or facing the harsh reality of Marc's criminal activities. 

He believed that there was still a glimmer of goodness in Marc, buried beneath the shadows of his illicit endeavors.

Arthur hoped that by uncovering the truth and dismantling the criminal network from within, he could protect Rosea from the devastating consequences of her husband's choices.

Deep down, Arthur knew that his decision to focus on gathering evidence against Marc was a risky one. 

It placed him at odds with the inspector, who was determined to bring both Marc and Lorenzo to justice.