Chapter 1

I grabbed my bag, threw my phone in the front pocket, and waved a quick goodbye to my mom. I stepped outside in the cold winter air. Everyone hates the winter, because its cold and there’s snow; but I love the winter. There’s something about the air that comforts me. I sat in the warm, pre-heated car, turned up the radio as my favourite song came on. I slipped my seatbelt on and backed out of the driveway. Seconds later, I heard my ringtone over the car stereo. I looked quickly at the display. It was my best friend Lilly. 

“Hello” I answered and put her on speaker. 

“Hey, Peyton. You on your way over?” Lilly said, pre-occupied as usual.

“Yes, I Just left now, I’ll be there in about 10 minutes.” I laughed and hung up.

We were all meeting up at Lilly’s house to get ready together. It was our friend Emily’s birthday. So we were hitting up a club downtown. No drinking, just five best friends dancing and having a good time. 

I pulled into Lilly’s driveway and stepped out of the car. Bringing along my bag and Emily’s present. I opened the door, and Lilly was running around with her dress unzipped unable to find some help. Emily ran up to me and I wished her a happy birthday and handed her the present.

“You didn’t have to, Peyton.” She tensed, but accepting the gift.

“Open it now, it’s for tonight.” I said playfully tickling her.

She ripped the tissue paper from out of the bag and pulled up the dangly chandelier earrings from the bottom. A smile sprung out as she gathered me in a hug.

I walked over to Lilly’s room where her and my other two friends, Jade and Kelly were in. I laid my bag on the floor and slipped my dress on. It was quite simple: hot pink with black sleeves that reached my elbows with a few studs going down. It was new, and I loved it. I walked over to the mirror to apply some finishing touches to my makeup. I had done that before leaving. 

“Girl, you look like a rockstar!” Jade said to me as I dabbed my favourite hot pink lip stain on my lips.

“I do not.” I hissed. I am anything but a rockstar.

“Look at your dress, your lips are hot pink, you have stellar eyeliner and you’re wearing your edgy black booty heels. That screams rockstar, babe.” Lilly butted in.

“They’re right” Emily and Kelly chimed in together. I swear they are long lost twins.

I grabbed my clutch which I had kept in my overnight bag and motioned to the front door as the girls followed. We made our way to my car, while Lilly locked the door.

“I call shotgun!” Lilly yelled.

****

We entered the large room full of intoxicated and happy bodies. We walked over to the bar for a drink to cheers to Emily’s birthday. The bartender helped bring our drinks over to our booth. We each sat down and raised our glasses.