Chapter 10 Voldemort's Plan

You were a bit harsh, weren't you, Sirius? Look at the words Harry wrote to me after what you did. Can you hear the bitterness? How much has the boy been deprived of growing up? How much more misery can be inflicted on him?

He takes it from me because he still considers me his enemy. But how much longer will he consider me his enemy when he is forced to accept the misery from you, someone he loves.

And I believe he loves you, Sirius, although I'm sure he hasn't told you. Does he even know how to say the words, Sirius? Has anyone taught him, shown him how? Have the words ever even been spoken to him?

Harry is coming to me now for answers. How long will it take?

Harry stared at the note. Sirius was right. Voldemort was trying to turn Harry away from Sirius and in essence, his own parents. Voldemort was manipulating every aspect of Harry's life to force Harry to keep going back to him. And Harry was letting him.

He looked up Sirius. There was an unreadable expression on his face, but his eyes were filled with tears.

"Don't let him take you from me, Harry. I couldn't bear it."

"Oh, Sirius," Harry cried as he flung himself back into Sirius' arms. "I'm so sorry." Harry was crying now too. "I do love you. I swear I do."

"I know, Harry." Sirius arms were strong around him and he let Harry cry. More grief and more guilt poured out of him.

How was he supposed to fight Voldemort now?

Harry returned to common room feeling worse than he had ever felt in his life. Apparently, it showed in his expression because no one said a word to him. Even Ron looked afraid to speak.

Ron helped Harry re-dye his hair black and Hermione put it back to its normal length and untidiness with a spell. Harry had decided to keep wearing the lenses. They were so convenient and he could actually see better with them in than he could with his glasses.

But after he washed the make-up off his face and looked into the mirror, the face that stared back still looked like a stranger to Harry.

Not surprisingly, Harry found himself standing outside Snape's office. The door was open and the light was on, but Harry hesitated stepping into the doorway. Harry's relationship with Severus Snape had become very obscure. In public, well in school that is, it was the same, but in private or in context with anything connected with Voldemort, Snape had almost assumed the role of his personal body guard.

"The heir can't sleep," said Peeves, wizzing down the hallway toward Harry.

"Shut up, Peeves," whispered Harry

"What's going on out there," Harry heard Snape from inside.

But Peeves continued to taunt Harry and bang things around. When Harry turned around again, Snape was standing before him.

"What is it, Potter?"

"I – er – can't sleep," said Harry.

"So you came here to steal stuff to make a potion?" sneered Snape, apparently back to his nasty self.

"Ah, no, sir," said Harry. "I was going to ask you to make me one. I don't know how to make one for dreamless sleep."

"Bad dreams, is it?" said Snape, considering Harry thoughtfully. "Well come in then."

Harry followed Snape inside his office. Harry's experiences inside this particular office weren't pleasant so Harry moved within it cautiously.

"Sit down, before you fall down, Potter," said Snape as he collected several items from his case and set on his desk beside a cauldron. "You look exhausted. It surprises me that you aren't comatose."