Epilogue: Night Drive

༻✧༺

"You're not taking the bus home, are you?" Chuuya asked, breaking the night's silence.

It was 1:30 am, and after eating a decent dinner in one of the Mafia dining rooms and speaking with Mori, it was finally time to head home.

"I think there's one bus that I can catch up to if I-" You explained before getting interrupted by his 'tch'. Your steps slowed to match his pace. "I'm confused; what are you so annoyed about?" You asked, rephrasing your thoughts.

You looked back at him when he stopped walking; he had his palms resting on his hips, like he was thinking about something. You waited a few moments before you decided to prompt him. "What is it?" you asked, emphasizing your confusion.

Pulling out his car keys, he swirled them in his fingers with a smug smile.

"I'm driving you home, silly," he said, his voice having an underlying excitement barely showing.

༻✧༺

He drove at 35 miles per hour and had the windows halfway open. The breeze was calming. You looked out your window at the buildings as you passed them.

"After 300 meters ahead, turn left," The female GPS voice spoke through Chuuya's phone every now and then. Your gaze left the window, and you studied his car.

He had a little medal around the rearview mirror that represented some rock band you vaguely knew. Your eyes followed where his phone rested on some stand he placed in front of him on his right.

Then you looked at his gloved hand as it rested on the steering wheel. You watched as he navigated the car, almost effortlessly shifting its course with mere adjustments of his hand. He had his back rested on the seat, and his composure was completely relaxed.

Unconsciously, you relaxed your back as well, feeling all your tense muscles lower their guards. You looked back at the road ahead, which was almost empty.

"It's difficult to rest, am I right?" Chuuya asked with an understanding tone. You hummed in agreement. "I'm not new to all this, but this mission struck deep," you explained with a calm tone, afraid that you'd break the stillness of the night.

"At least, that's how I see it," you continued your thought after a while, and then silence controlled the atmosphere again.

There was only the sound of the gentle wind entering the car, the harsh, yet quiet, roar of Chuuya's car when he sped up once in a while, and the low, inaudible conversation on the radio.

"Easier said than done; I know that feeling," Chuuya assured you, then he took off his hat with his free hand and threw it in the backseat. His gloved fingers went through his hair, brushing it.

There it was—that image of him that you couldn't forget; drugged Chuuya on the ground six months ago.

You smiled, ready to have this relaxed image of him imprinted in your mind instead.

"What are you smiling about?" Chuuya asked, pulling you out of your thoughts. He had a soft smile on his face. He paused at a red light, then turned to look at you.

"Come on, I want to laugh as well," he continued. This time, there was a glimmer in his eyes that you hadn't seen before.

After a while of you not responding, he flicked his finger gently on your forehead. "Y-n, what are you sulking about?" He asked, confused, but he was chuckling. Then a sly smirk curled his lips as another thought came to his head.

"Am I so breathtaking?" He asked, his voice alluring.

Your eyes widened at his guess, and then the lights turned green, saving you from embarrassing yourself. You pointed at the lights. "Come on, go!" you said, and he sighed defeatedly. You giggled at his slightly pouted lips.