TWO: SUPER RICH KIDS

super rich kids with nothing but loose ends,super rich kids with nothing but fake friends !▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

super rich kids with nothing but fake friends !
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

BRIDGEHAMPTON, NEW YORK. SUMMER, 2000— The closest thing Selene Kingman had ever felt to sand between her toes was dirt from the backyard of her apartment complex in Moorestown, New Jersey.

So, when Donna Kingman had told her thirteen year old daughter Selene to pack up her things and get ready for a summer in The Hamptons on a random June afternoon, she was stunned. The Hamptons were a place that existed only in Selene's wildest dreams, in the deepest pages of her diary. Never, ever, did she think her mother would get it together to hop the bus to Atlantic City, let alone The Hamptons.

"Don't worry, doll. Logan's going to take good care of us." Donna had smiled as she helped Selene fold and pack up her faded denim shorts, "You're going to have the best summer ever. I promise."

"Is that the rich guy who's house you clean?" Selene wondered as she played with the frayed hem of her shorts. Selene was well aware with what her mother did for a living, and was damn proud of it. I mean, all her mom had to do was clean, and they got to live a pretty decent life. They had a two bedroom apartment, with laundry in the basement and a parking spot for their 1996 Toyota camry right outside, in the back. Donna was never late to pick Selene up from school. Every year, they went down to the Goodwill and picked Selene out a new-ish pair of sneakers for track and field. Donna wasn't ever late picking Selene up from track, either. They always had dinner on the table. Sometimes it was a whole rotisserie chicken, and if Selene was lucky, she got to indulge in a Kid Cuisine— microwave brownie included.

"Sure is, doll."

Occasionally, Selene wondered what it would be like if they were rich. Her mother always joked she would buy them a castle, out on Long Island in New York, just for the two of them.

"Somewhere out in The Hamptons," She would say, "Somewhere I don't have to do the cleaning. We could get somebody to do that for us."

Thus, in Selene's mind, The Hamptons were a fantasy— something out of a fairytale— and she was leaving for her fairytale summer in just a few short minutes.

"Oh, I can't believe it, doll. I don't know how I'll ever thank Logan."

Selene knew not to ask too many questions about the men who were in and out of Donna's life.

'Why wouldn't people want to be in my mom's life?' She'd think to herself, 'My mom's awesome.'

Considering Selene had never met her father, she learned quickly that these men were pretty temporary. Sometimes Donna worked for them. Sometimes, Selene had no idea where they came from. She never bothered to learn their names. She held on to a small, glimmer of hope that maybe one day, one would stay. Instead of sad tears,
there would be happy ones— but that never happened. That day never came. However, whoever this Logan was, Selene couldn't wait to meet him. Because of Logan, she got to be a princess for the summer, and that felt fucking awesome.