chapter 6

❝ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏɴ ʏ/ɴ, ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴ ᴛʀᴜsᴛ ᴍᴇ. ᴡᴇ'ʀᴇ ꜰʀɪᴇɴᴅs ʀᴇᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ?❞

"Dewey should be here any minute and when he finds out he'll arrest you, asshole!"

His face remains expressionless for a moment, and his anger and cruelty are still evident behind his eyes. He stares at me for a few more moments before speaking again. "Dewey?" He says with a cruel and mocking chuckle. He shakes his head as he speaks, but there's still that coldness and cruelty in his voice and eyes. "You think that idiot could arrest me?" He takes another step towards me, still blocking the door completely. "Maybe you are crazy." I feel I've hit a nerve with this, as he seems quite annoyed now.

"What are you planning on doing Billy? You can't keep me here forever."

He shakes his head. "Oh, no?" His whole demeanor changes again, and now he looks even more kind, with a genuine tone in his voice. And, I can see the cruelty and coldness are gone now, replaced with sympathy and kindness. "I would never harm you, Y/N." He continues to block my exit though. "I care about you. All I want to do is protect you. There's no one else out there you can trust." He smiles at me with that kindness and sympathy, as though he's trying to comfort me. I still can't tell what his true plans are.

"What about when your dad comes home?"

He raises an eyebrow at that. "What about him?" His whole demeanor remains kind and sympathetic, but the coldness and cruelty are still just under the surface. He's clearly trying to hide his anger behind kindness and sympathy once more. "You think he cares about you?" He laughs a bit, and his anger returns for a split second once more. "I told you. No. One. Else." His words are cold and threatening now, once more, and he leans closer to me again. "Trust me. I'm the only one you can trust."

"I don't trust you. You really think your dad cares about you when he messed you up by sleeping with Maureen?" I let out

As soon as I say that, his kindness and sympathy are completely gone. In its place is pure anger and cruelty, and even a little hatred. He shakes his head. 

"Why do you even care?" His coldness and cruelty remain as his voice raises slightly. "Who cares about any of that?" His words are even colder and more threatening as he leans even closer to me. The anger behind his words is so intense that he seems ready to snap at any moment. He shakes his head. "Nobody."

I scoff. "You're the one who was so upset about your mom abandoning you because of your dad and Maureen having an affair."

"Don't care." He says shortly. I can feel a coldness and cruelty in his voice as he continues to block my exit. "That was a long time ago." He shakes his head. "Who even cares anymore?" (The cruelty and coldness remain, as he leans in close. It's all he's showing now. No kindness, no sympathy. "You want to go home?" His words are almost like a threat behind his voice. "Come on Y/N, you can trust me. We're friends remember?"

Dewey's car pulls into the drive.

Billy watches Dewey's car pull in, and it takes him a moment to react at all. When he finally does, his face continues to be cold and cruel behind him as he finally turns to see who's arriving. His anger seems to lessen somewhat, as he steps out of the way of the door, and a hint of kindness and sympathy has once more returned to his face. I get the sense I've found a way to break through to him, and the anger seems to have left me for now.

"Is that your..." He nods towards Dewey's car.

I quickly nudge past him and unlock the door.

Billy's eyes follow me as I leave, and the cruelty and coldness seem to have completely gone away again behind his eyes. He stares at me for a few moments as I leave, his face calm and kind-looking. He seems disappointed that I got away but smiles as I leave. He almost looks like an utterly kind and well-mannered boy again. Maybe I've finally found a way to completely reach him. Whatever it is, he seems to feel sorry for keeping me there. And I'm safe now.

I practically run to Dewey's car and get inside.

As I run to Dewey's car, Billy just stands in the doorway, watching me leave. At first, he almost seems proud, like he's happy I finally got away. But, only for a moment. He shakes his head. There's no pride or joy behind his face there at all, just that coldness and cruelty again. I'm safe now, though. I'm far away from him. And I'm safe with Dewey. At least for now. I did the right thing.

Dewey drives me to his place to have a sleepover with Tatum as I tell him what happened with Billy.

Dewey listens intently to the story, and he's clearly appalled at the events that took place. He seems very concerned, and he does his best to comfort and reassure me. He seems genuinely sorry that I had to go through all of that. And, he says he'll make sure I never go near him again. He can do it, too. Dewey's a great friend. I'll be safe at his house.

We arrive at his house and go inside.

Dewey escorts me inside, and I've got to admit, I feel much safer with him. He's got a great reputation at the sheriff's office, and he certainly won't let anyone mess around with me. I find him much more sympathetic and understanding than Billy, and I definitely feel safe and cared for around Dewey.

Tatum runs up and hugs me.

Tatum is a wonderful person, and she's very sweet to me. I feel completely safe in her presence. She's a very good friend as well.

Tatum pulls me to her room and we watch a movie together. I tell her what happened, and she says how she'll kick Billy's ass.

Tatum is the sweetest. I love hanging out at her place, and we have some amazing times together. We watch lots of movies, tell stories, and play board games. Tatum and Dewey are always there to support me and I can trust them with anything.