Chapter 1: Lilith

I'm watching one of the High Lords from across the ballroom. The Night Court, if I'm right. He's studying every single person here as if he's looking for someone.

My father, the King of Hybern, decided he was going to throw a ball and invite everyone in Prythian to come. All the courts, every fae. I know what it really is though. A front for business. He's planning something. Something bad. I don't know what, and I'm not sure I want to find out.

The High Lord catches my eye. I can hear his thoughts flying through his mind as he stares at me.

Who is that girl? Who does she think she is, staring at me? Not even a lick of respect in her eyes. I'm one of the most powerful High Lord in Prythian. Who gave her the right to look at me?

I smirk, hiding a chuckle by ducking my head. He's full of himself. On the bright side, now I know who he is for sure.

"Hello, Rhysand," I say, invaded his mind to speak to him. I raise my hand to give him a little wave.

He flinches as he hears me. He locks his gaze on me, intrigued. I feel his thoughts shift and refocus around me.

Who is she? How is she doing that? She's in my head but I can't feel her.

"Are you a mind reader?" he asks finally.

"Maybe..." I tease, trailing off. My smirk softens into a smile as a waiter walks by me. Carefully taking another flute of champagne from his tray, I nod my thanks. I don't looked at Rhysand again as I speak to him in his mind. "If you tell me your secret, I'll tell you mine."

His brows furrow, trying to figure something out. There might be someone else in his head, but I'm too drunk on fairie wine to figure it out. He looked concentrated, maybe a little worried.

"You're obviously looking for someone."

His eyes snap up to me to see that I'm watching him again. His brow raises, an evil kind of grin tugging at the corner of his lips.

"You want a secret?" He glances around, his magic surging. I feel him try to pry his way into my mind. I let him past the first, more obvious shield. "You're mine now!"

I laugh, letting him dive deeper until he slams into the second shield. The real shield around my mind. His eyes flash, confused. Of course he's confused. My energy feels like that of a mortal's compared to his own. No powers or Fae scent is visible in my aura. Not to anyone.

"What's wrong, Rhysand? Having a little trouble? Performance issues, perhaps?" I raise my brow, waiting to see what he might say or do.

His eyes hardens and narrow. He stares at me for a moment, trying to pin down exactly what I am. Then, the corners of his lips quirk into a smirk similar to my own.

"You're... intriguing. Tell me, what are you?"

"Wouldn't you like to know."

His smirk drops again at the evasion of his question. Of all his questions.

I don't bother saying anything else as I make my way over to him. Stopping every so often, I offer small 'hello's and 'how are you's to people between us. I can feel Rhysand's eyes boring into me from where he stands by the wall. His hand is on the dagger hidden under his clothes as I approach, debating on using it.

"Get to the point," he says as soon as I'm in earshot.

"What point? I have none," I shrug. My head is swimming with fairie wine. "Only curiosity." I turn to face the ballroom. His anger flares at how easily I've taken my eyes off of him. He thinks I'm still a mortal, or at least a lower fae. That I should have bowed before him.