Chapter Three - Zestari

The streets of Lidoria were packed full as everyone prepared for the summer solstice celebrations.

Bakeries were working overtime trying to produce enough sweets for the whole kingdom while the florists decorated with only the brightest of flowers.

Remember Zestari, we must leave before nightfall for Emelle. The priests will be disappointed if you of all people are late. Faeynor, prodded once more.

All of that worrying is going to turn your scales gray one day. I wove through the streets, my airy pink dress flowing behind me. When have we been late before?

Every time Zestari. We can never make it to these meetings on time and we are the closest ones to them.

I could hear her scoff at me through the bond. I'll try my best, but I am making you no promises.

Promise me Zestari.

I smiled at her nagging as I stopped and plucked a pastry off a tray from a nearby shop. I bit into it, the outside a combination of soft and flaky while the inside was an explosion of flavor. Hints of honey, lemon and strawberry danced along my tongue.

Don't ignore me Zestari; I know that you can hear me.

"Do you know if you will make it back in time for the celebrations?" The baker asked as I plucked another small puff off of the tray. "It wouldn't be the same without our Queen." He bowed his head before stuffing a small box with the decadent treats.

"I'm sure we will be able to make it back. These meetings never hold us for long."

He nodded, holding the small box out to me. "For you and your friends. I hope that they enjoy them as much as you have."

I nodded my thanks before turning back towards the stark white castle nestled on an emerald green hill.

I approached Faeynor, the box of little pastries nestled into my arms.

It's a wonder as to how you aren't fat. Her scales shone like rubies as the sun set behind her.

How did I get stuck with the rudest dragon of the bunch? Maybe I wasn't going to eat them all.

Were you? I could have sworn she raised a nonexistent eyebrow at me.

Well I'm not going to now! I shoved the little box into one of the storage compartments on her saddle before climbing up. Alright, lets go you nag.

She stretched her wings out, lifting us into the color filled sky. We hoovered facing northeast before turning to the south. The water beneath us was the color of sapphires as we took the short flight to Emelle.

I feel your heart Zestari. She started as the sun dipped below the sea.

Just drop it, Faeynor.

She slowed her pace as the small island came into view. We are one Zestari. Now and forever.

I said drop it. I snapped, leaving her silent as she descended upon the dark aviary.

I grabbed the box from her saddle as the keepers led her into the empty aviary. I watched as the doors closed behind her before turning away and towards my room.

The housing section of the temple was silent, all of the heavy wooden doors shut tightly allowing nothing in or out. Everyone was already asleep or not yet here.

Finding my room, I pushed the door open. A small bed was nestled in the corner with stark white covers on it. Next to the small bed was a table that held a vase.