One.

Chapter One

"I love my sisters and all but I think it's time to do my own thing Ma," Star explained to the mirror in front of her, trying not to focus on how silly she looked

"I've been writin' these songs, they help me cope with my emotions about Dad. I think they have potential..." She trailed off with a groan, frustrated at how difficult it was for her to convey her emotions. These days it was like the only way she could communicate how she truly felt was through song.

Suddenly, her bedroom door swung open and in came her (second) oldest sister, Yasmine, in her matching Juicy Couture tracksuit that she regularly rehearsed in. "C'mon, Star, we're gonna be late to rehearsal." She complained, tapping the imaginary watch on her wrist.

"'Kay, just let me grab my bag." Star said with a sigh, grabbing her pink duffle from her desk. "What was taking you so long anyway?"

Star kept silent for a while, "None of your business." She finally muttered. "Ah, I see, you were daydreamin' about your little solo career again, huh? Ma is never gonna let that happen, Star, you and I both know it."

"Whatever. I don't even know what you mean." Star scoffed, feigning confusion although she knew very well what her sister meant. "Sure you don't."

As they got warmed up for rehearsal, it became a habit for them to gossip about other people in the industry and a very frequent topic as of late was Michael Jackson

"How is our album supposed to compete with Thriller?" Yasmine questioned, "It's like, the biggest album out right now. Maybe even ever, it won't even budge from the top five."

"The goal isn't to compete with Micheal, Yas. It's to have fun doing what we love." Jennifer stated, she was always the voice of reason among the three sisters. "Oh that is such bull, you wanna see our album chart— admit it, you do."

By now, Star had already begun tuning their constant bickering out and focused on trying to create a melody for the lyrics she'd been working on recently :

They say it gets better,
but I know that's not true.
'Cause ain't no way it could get better
when I'm missing someone like you.

"Alright," Her mother's voice boomed throughout the walls of the studio, "Get off your behinds and let's get to work."

"Before we begin though— I've pulled a couple of strings today and you're set to perform at The Halo Lounge, tomorrow. Now, a lot of celebrities attend this lounge so I expect for this routine to perfect and for you not to embarrass me. Got it?"

"Got it." All three of the girls agreed in unison.

With that, she pressed the play button on the CD player and their debut single 'Kisses' began to play.

The special aspect about the group was that they all had their respective skills that they were a master at individually but when they came together it was like they became even more of a force to reckoned with.

Jennifer's weapon was her rhymes and her flow, the fluidity of her voice when she rapped was like none other. She was in her element whenever she performed.

Yasmine's weapon was the way she moved body, the way she hit every move just right was just entirely enticing. She knew when to pop, she knew when to quicken the pace, and she knew when to slow it. Everything about the way she danced was perfection.

Lastly, Star's weapon was her voice. Her siren-like pipes had a way of making any words sound like pure poetry. Though she was the youngest and the most appeared the most innocent, her voice was a complete contrast to her soft persona because her singing let you know that she meant business.

When the song finally concluded, Jennifer and Star were both kneeled over, out of breath.

"Pathetic." Leanne spat, referring to the exhausted girls. "Be more like Yasmine. Effortless." She said, her arms crossed over her chest as she shook her head repeatedly in annoyance. They collectively looked over at Yasmine who hadn't broken a single sweat and still looked as though she hadn't danced at all even after that entire number.

"I'd like to see you fucking try it." Star murmured under her breath causing Jennifer to snicker. "What was that?" Leanne asked, narrowing her eyes at the curly haired girl and tilting her head. "Nothing, Mother." She replied with a heavy sigh, knowing very well she'd pay for that smart remark when they returned from their lunch break.

As they headed out, Jennifer and Star nearly drooled at the thought of imagining what they were going to have for lunch. Yasmine on the other hand, wasn't so eager, and Star noticed.

"You good, Yas?" She asked, her round, doe eyes filled with concern. Yasmine just nodded, "You sure? What do you want to eat, I know you must be hungry after all of that—"

"I'm fine. I'm not hungry." Yasmine lied through a tight-lipped grin. Star could sense that there was more to the situation than she was letting on but she made the wise decision not to press it.

Star was conflicted. While she loved performing with her sisters and was thrilled that they had booked their first gig as a group, she couldn't shake the feeling that she wasn't meant to do this.

She quickly shook the feeling though, there was no point in dwelling on it when she knew very well that her mother would never let her leave the group.

authors note / this was rlly just a little introduction chapter— hope y'all like it!

authors note /
this was rlly just a little
introduction chapter— hope y'all like it!