4. The Dark Truth

"This is my Windblume." He said sweetly, holding it out to him.

"A Cecelia? Did you pick it because you think it's my favourite flower, or do you truly connect with it?" Venti questioned with a lighthearted chuckle.

Xiao thought for a moment. "I'm not quite sure." He honestly responded.

"Well, that's perfectly fine...and if you must know, I don't actually have a favourite flower, I find all of them to be beautiful in their own right." Venti responded. "I wanted to spend time with you every Windblume since we got together; I treasure you Alatus and I want you to know that, sincerely."

Xiao smiled softly in turn.

For years he had been going through in his head different scenarios, and different outcomes, of confronting the bard. He saw himself as weak for not seeking the answers himself unprompted. Yet he felt satisfied with this sequence of events. He had gotten the closure on the situation he so desperately clung to but felt somewhat off. He knew his partner wasn't ready to share any specifics of his reasons and, as a result, Xiao felt no incentive to forgive him. His forgiveness would be earned, it was never owed no matter who it went to. He hoped for things to go back to what they were before, but it was an impossible dream to be left unfulfilled.

Venti carefully put his love's Windblume in his hair, securing its placement with his hat.

The two then quietly sat down in front of the statue of the seven, Venti resting his head on Xiao's shoulder as they watched the sun set over the terrain.

Venti knew he'd have to tell Xiao the full story eventually, and it scared him to remember. He promised himself he wouldn't repeat his past mistakes and hurt Xiao again.

Xiao gently moved Venti from his shoulder, turning to face him.

"I must return to Liyue now. Thank you, for all of this...I'm glad we're reunited." Xiao said; with that he was gone, disappearing just as he had appeared earlier that day.

Venti sighed, satisfied with the afternoon's outcome, yet something deep down irked him. He couldn't identify it but planned to fulfil his words to his partner, the next day he'd make his way to Liyue and talk to Xiao about it. Maybe then he could find the source of the issue.

He yawned softly, getting up to lay at the tree's base. The moment his eyes closed, he slept. Dreaming of a future with Xiao, he smiled softly.

In a neighbouring nation, Xiao sighed as he leaned against the balcony's bannister. As usual, the inn's owner passed him by. However, today he stopped in his tracks; spotting the smile and the faint tint of pink on the yaksha's face.

"What's got you so content tonight, Xiao?" He asked with a chuckle, carefully approaching the green haired man.

Xiao's eyes briefly grew, his cheeks glowing red in embarrassment.

"I...nothing you should worry about." He answered sharply after regaining his composure.

With a nervous chuckle, the owner waved and left the yaksha alone once more.

The green haired adeptus faced the mountains once again, leaning against the railing as the wind traced his features. He longed to enjoy the mountain's night view with his lover by his side, the bard's arm around his waist as he whispered sweet nothings into his ear.

Still, he remained on edge. He was worried for the god, of course, but he was worried for himself. Had he not pushed enough for a full answer? Was the bard truly telling the truth about more open communication? Xiao had gone years suffering alone, did Venti go through the same? He asked himself these questions on repeat, feeling guilty for hoping his love suffered the same as him.