Chapter 10 - Fate can be weird

I promise this streak of introducing new characters is almost over

It had been almost a whole hour since we passed that hole in the sky until we came upon the destination Youmu was leading me to. Her eyes brightened upon seeing her home, flying faster to reach it.

Youmu: I can't wait to gauge your skills! I haven't had a student other than Lady Yuyuko in years!

Kino: When did I become your student?

Youmu: Just now..

She giggled playfully before slowing down as we approached a large hill, that almost seemed like a mountain. Hundreds of steps snaked themselves all the way to the top where an imposingly large building sat. Beautiful trees and flowers flanking it on each side, they were a myriad of colors but the most noticeable was pink and red, likely because they're cherry blossoms.

Kino: Who said it was a good idea to have a bunch of stairs to walk up?

Youmu: Usually the people who come up these steps are ghosts and those with the ability to fly

As Youmu says this a weird white creature wraps around her arm.

Youmu: Speaking of, don't be alarmed by this, I am half ghost myself after all

Kino: That's a bit of strange info to give out now

Youmu: it's not very important, just thought I'd tell you now though

We made our way towards the entrance of the compound, stepping onto the soft wavy grass beneath us after creating over the steps.

Youmu: Come this way, the courtyard in front of us will server as our training grounds

We went and approached a table, the ground was made up of dry dirt and rock and seemed to be the normal terrain for what is supposed to be an area of intense activity. The table we approached held several weapons against a wall next to it along with some wooden practice swords on the table itself. Youmu hung her katanas upon the wall mounts and I decided to do the same. She picked up a practice sword and hand it to me while picking one up for herself as well.

Youmu: Let's just try and fight with swords, no magic or danmaku.

Kino: erm, should we go all out?

Youmu: why wouldn't we?

She gave a small smile before directing me to stand opposite of her in the field.

Youmu: the winning conditions is when the opponent is able to hit the other at least once, got it? Alright then, get ready. 3..2..1...GO!

Her shout spurred me into action and I swung my sword in an overhead angle to start off, my eyes watched it as it went down only to find Youmu absent from her position.

Kino:....HAHHHH!

I swung to the side and manage to block an incoming blow from Youmu, her movement barely detectable in my peripheral vision but my reaction time saved me from a critical hit. Youmu smiled as she jumped back, waving her sword side to side as we faced off.

Youmu: many trainees and amateurs would have failed to block that, nice job for surviving the first 10 seconds, unfortunately it only gets harder from here and I don't plan to go easy on you.

She dipped up and down as she bent her knees, getting ready to launch for an opening, it didn't take her long before she jumped forth for a jab at me, I dodged to the left and attempted to counter with a low blow, but with little ease and grace she curved her sword over to strike my sword away. My forehead scrunched up a little in frustration as a gland of swear dripped down my cheek, slowly we moved in a circle once more before I charged at her, my plan was to seem like I was attempting to strike her down with pure strength, but I wasn't dumb enough to not realize that an experienced swordsman would likely be stronger in every way and easily able to counter a move like this, that's why I thought that as I pointed my sword forward, I could make a feint and instead turn it sideways in the last minute and let the momentum and resistance from my charge help me pull it back quick enough to let me use my full strength in slashing move.