We Are Very Young & We Are Learning How To Live

summary: who knew an innocent day at a kid's fun park would end in blaine's emotions being laid out in front of him at a picnic table? who knew finally admitting what he had done would bring him peace, and even happiness, after feeling lost for so long?

tags: angst (w/ a happy ending), heartbreak, years later, minor mention of blood

word count: ~5.5k

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They met at a fun park, one meant for little kids. One was there, babysitting his eight year old niece, while the other was dragged along by his best friend. Never in a million years would they expect their reunion to be at one of Ohio's themed fun parks, yet there they were, years later after their first meeting.

They used to be friends. Friends, then enemies, and then nothing. Nothing but show choir rivals, but not enough communication to even be called enemies, anymore. The pair were banned from talking by their peers, afraid of secrets being spilled, or hearts being broken. So, day-to-day texts turned into a passing thought in the night. Funny stories and deep conversations became memories; memories of an old friend, or even so, musings of what could have been.

You could imagine the surprise on their faces when each noticed the other for the first time in six years.

It started when the little girl, Eloise, had screamed and pointed at something, and when his uncle followed her finger, he was hit with a strong conversance. His niece, of course, was looking at the dinosaur, infatuated with the species at the time, but he was watching the man atop the playground toy. A long haired blond, hair tied in the back; a goofy grin; an orange flannel. He couldn't put his finger on it, but he knew him.

Just then, Eloise screamed again, taking his attention back.

"You want the dinosaur?"

The girl nodded.

"Well you've gotta wait a minute, someone's on it." Sebastian looked at her face. "Alright, before you start crying, you want to go get some ice cream? The dinosaur should be free by the time we're back."

Tears that were welling in her eyes disappeared, and he took her hand to leave.

"You know those things are meant for kids, right?" A voice interrupted the only sound, which had been the squeaking springs of the dinosaur toy. It's familiar, too, though like a distant memory. Like a dream you had but can't quite remember.

"Yeah, well... I'm a kid at heart," the blond supplied.

"Good try. I'm gonna laugh if you break it."

"I'm not that old! Stop making me feel old!"

"Man, around all these kids, I feel old. Feels like we should be downtown instead. Strolling, listening to birds. I bet if we stood very still in an antique store, people would buy us for decoration."

"No way, dude. You're crazy. Don't you feel your inner child screaming? Let him out, he wants to ride dinosaurs!"

"Nah, but yours can. I'm too old. Don't you hear my joints popping with every step?"

"Okay, grandpa. But you're missing out!"

"I'll be ready with the keys to take you to the hospital when you inevitably fall."

"Thanks for the support!"

The banter faded out as Sebastian took his niece away. He couldn't help but chuckle at the two, and wondered if there was a chance they were dating.

"A vanilla ice cream for her, and... I'll just get some water."

"Water?" The girl at the ice cream truck questioned, "come onnn... get yourself a treat, you deserve it."