Chapter Four - Final selection

I watched as Tanjiro cut the boulder, happy he did it.

"Tanjiro you did it"

"M/n? where's Sabito and Makomo?"

"I don't know who you're talking about"

"The two kids that were here"
I wish I could tell him they weren't real but I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

"They probably had something to do"

"Oh yeah you might be right"
I looked behind us and saw Urokodaki looking at the boulder.

"To be honest I had no intention of sending you two to the final selection"
I looked at him with disbelief as it sounded like he had no faith in us.

"Because I didn't want to see anymore children die"
Oh I guess that makes sense I guess the ones who failed he saw as his children.

"I was sure you two wouldn't be able to do it but"
He patted us both on our heads.

"Well done you two"
Tanjiro started to cry as I just smiled when he said he was proud of us.

"Come back from the final selection alive your sister and I will be waiting for you two"
When we returned to the home Urokodaki had made a large meal for us to celebrate the end of our training. I looked at Tanjiro and saw his hair had gotten really long I looked at mine and saw it was long too.

 As we ate I could only hope that the future would be kind to him. But knowing that there are demons and even more danger out there scared me. I can only hope we make it back or at least him as I will give my life to protect him. After dinner I was cutting Tanjiro's hair as Urokodaki was getting our clothes ready.

"Hey M/n?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm glad to have you with us"

"Huh?"

"I know before you felt as if you owed mom and dad for taking you in but I really do see you as my big brother"

"Tanjiro, that means a lot to me thank you"

"And I want you to know I'm here for you like you are here for me and Nezuko"

"Thank you Tanjiro but it's my job as your big brother to protect you and Nezuko"

"M/n?"

"Yeah"

"Are you going to cut your hair too it's pretty long now"