Chapter 5

Freya

I would often go to the back of the house, hoping I would see that wolf again. It's been five days since I haven't seen it and a long time since I haven't heard from my mom. She promised she would call me every day. She lied.

My head lowered miserably. Why do I always fall for my mom's promises? When will I learn that she will never fulfill any of them? I guess I hope that one day she will. It's disheartening to know that she would do anything for her lovers other than her own daughter. Why? Didn't I matter to her as well?

I put down the new werewolf romance novel I was reading, another novel by A.K. Knight, Alpha Christian. It's about a powerful and kind alpha with a pure heart whose mate foolishly rejects him because of her father's hatred for him. I just hope they get back together; their love for each other was too beautiful to walk away from.

It was the afternoon, so I went downstairs for a quick snack.

"Emily," I heard my grandmother speaking to my mom on the phone just as I was about to walk into the kitchen. I hid behind the wall to listen.

"It's been five days since Freya hasn't heard from you; don't you assume she's worried about why her mother has not cared to check on her?"

Tears slowly formed in my eyes, and I immediately wiped them away as they did.

I wished I could hear my mom respond if she cared.

"No, I don't care that you were busy; there are 24 hours within a day. You could have at least given her an hour or a few minutes just to speak to her," Grandma argued.

My mom didn't care; I didn't know why she would. She had Jack by her side; why should she be worried about me anyway?

My back rested on the wall, and I dragged myself down to the floor, wrapping both hands around my legs. My chin was positioned on my knees, desolated.

"Poor child has locked herself in her room every day, distressed about why her mother hasn't checked on her. Your aunt and I see it in her eyes every morning when she comes downstairs. Freya cries herself to sleep, Emily. She's depressed. And I'm starting to think this is some frequent behavior of hers--crying herself to sleep."

I sobbed.

"I should have taken her eleven years ago when you brought her to me."

My eyes widened. I remembered that day when I was 6; it was the day my mom and dad got separated. I assumed she had brought me here because she needed emotional support, but she was here to leave me with her mom. My face drained at the thought of it.

But, why? Didn't she want me?

"You can't keep blaming her for why her father left you," Grandma said, upset.

My mother blamed me for her divorce. I motioned from the wall in fright. It was difficult to endure what I'd heard. I raced from the house, causing the front door to slam behind me.

"Freya," my grandmother discovered I had heard.

"Freya! Freya!" she kept calling.

I dashed to the back of the house, straight into the forest.

The strong aroma of the trees and the earthy scent of the dark brown soil welcome my nose. My heart raced in my chest, and I breathed heavily, dodging every tree that was in my way. I stumbled over a branch, and I fell, rolling into some grass. I stayed in the spot and curled up, sobbing. All along, I thought my mom blamed my dad for leaving her; instead, it was me.