Selfie

My eyes almost started to glaze over when I noticed a paper ball flying past my face and hitting the quiet girl in class, Kate Marsh, in the face. I sighed and tried to pay attention to the class but I already knew what Mr. Jefferson, a famous photographer who decided to teach a bunch of kids, was talking about. I closed my eyes for a few seconds, or so I thought....

"Where am I?" I raised my arm up to my face to cover it from the rain. I walked forward with much difficulty, "Why is it so windy?" I looked up and saw the lighthouse, "I could stay there until whatever this is passes!" I trudged in the mud until I got to the top of the hill where there was a drop off. There was a guide map of the city covered with a banner that said North West Academy, that was the school I demanded my parents to send me to so I could study under one of my hero's Mr. Jefferson. I looked up and saw everything I've ever known of Arconia Bay on fire, "What the fuck?!" I couldn't believe my eyes, "This can't be real!" The sky was dark red and orange, bright streaks of light were raining from the sky. "Are those sun flares?" I then heard a loud cracking sound, I turned around and looked up and saw the top of the lighthouse falling down towards me, I held up my hand and screamed in fear, "No!"

I opened my eyes and noticed I was breathing heavily, So it was all just a dream? It felt so real... I shrugged off the dream or nightmare and tried to distract myself. I looked at the materials I had on my table and poked at my pencil holder with my index finger , Man, I need to update my pencil case but I do like the simplicity of it. I decided to dig through my bag and grabbed my journal, I opened it and flipped through the empty pages, I should start writing in this... I put it back in my bag and then looked at my retro camera on the desk, I love the hi-tech cameras we have in this day and age but these cameras will always hold a special place in my nerd heart. I picked it up and decided to take a picture, I turned it around and stuck my tongue out and then I was blinded by a white flash for a millisecond when Mr. Jefferson called me out, "Shh. Now I believe Delilah has taken what you kids call a Selfie- a dumb word for a wonderful photographic tradition. And Delilah... has a gift." I sat there awkwardly as he kept talking, "Of course, as you all know, the photo portrait has been popular since the early 1800's. Your generation was not the first to use images for selfie-expression. Sorry, I couldn't resist. The point remains that the portraiture has always been a vital aspect of art and photography for as long as it's been around. Now Delilah since you have captured our interest and clearly want to join the conversation, can you please tell us the name of the process that gave birth to the first self-portraits?" I cursed under my breath, what the hell do I say? "The name is on the tip of my tongue..." I gave a weak smile. Mr. Jefferson lightly hit the table with his hand, "You either know this or not, Delilah. Is there anybody here that actually knows their stuff?" Out of the corner of my eye I notice Victoria Chase - or Rich Bitch as some may call her, raise her hand, "Louis Daguerre was a french painter who created Daguerreotypes, a process that gave portraits a sharp reflective style, like a mirror," she looked at me and gave a wicked smile, "Now you're totally stuck in the retro zone. Sad face." Her minion, Taylor, laughed and Mr. Jefferson smiled, "Very good Victoria." I sighed, What a suck up. "The Daguerreian Process brought out fine detail in people's faces making them extremely popular from the 1800's onward. The first American daguerreotype self-portrait was done by Robert Cornelius. You can find out all about him... In your textbook. Or even... online," Mr. Jefferson said as the school bell rang. I sighed and looked down at the picture on my desk, I can't turn this in- it's horrible. Mr. Jefferson stood up from sitting on one of the students table, "And guys don't forget the deadline to submit a photo in the "Everyday Heroes" contest. I'll fly out with the winner to San Francisco where you'll be feted by the art world. It's great exposure and it can kick start a career in photography." I started to pack up my things while he kept talking, "So Stella and Alyssa, get it together. Taylor, don't hide, I'm still waiting for your entry too. And yes Delilah, I see you pretending not to see me." I sighed, Do I have to turn in a photograph, can I just skip this contest? I stood up and fixed my bag around my shoulder. I looked up and saw Victoria talking to Mr. Jefferson, Victoria doesn't waste a second kissing ass.

I started walking until something on a nearby desk caught my eye. It was writing on a desk that said AMBER -<3- 4 EVER, Hmm, this might make a cool shot... I pulled out my camera from my bag and lined up the shot, the photo came out and I shook it for a few seconds then stuffed both back in my bag. I could still hear Victoria sucking up to Mr. Jefferson, Don't believe her bullshit Teach. I turned around and noticed Kate still sitting in her chair, leaning over a sketch pad, I walked over and noticed what was written on it. One of the drawings that caught my eye was a tree with a noose hanging off one of the branches, Poor Kate... "Hey, Kate." She looked up at me with tired eyes, "Oh, hi Delilah." I smiled lightly, "You didn't speak much today... everything all right?" She nodded slightly, "Just thinking too much..." My eyes lit up as an idea popped into my head, "Hey, Want to go grab a cup o' tea and bitch about life?" She looked towards the ground, "Thanks, but not today. I have to go over homework." I sighed, "No worries, let's hang later." She nodded and replied, "Sure," and then looked back down at the pad of paper. You need some sleep Kate... I then saw a wad of paper on floor near Kate, that's probably what was thrown at her earlier. I bent over and picked it up and unwadded it,

Dear Kate,
We love your
porn video
Xoxo North West
Academy

I wadded it back up, Now I wish I wouldn't have read this. I threw it in a nearby trashcan and walked up to Mr. Jefferson, "Excuse me, Mr. Jefferson, can I talk to you for a moment?"