Chapter 4

Roger stared at his mother and felt a lump in his chest as he sat at the dining table in her Truro home.  He had only called the day before to announce he was coming for a visit.  Saying he unexpectedly had a few days off from the band and wanted to come home.  His mother had fixed his favorite dinner and they were seated together enjoying the pudding she had made just for him.  Blathering on about him needing home cooking.  

"It's a shame Clare couldn't make it but it was short notice."  Winifred remarked as she took a bite of the chocolate mousse.  "She'll be home after work.  she advised.  Roger nodded as he stirred his spoon about in the mousse.  Realizing it was time to come clean about the nature of his visit home.

"Mum.  I need to tell you something."  Roger announced as his mother looked at him with curiosity.

"What is that dear?"  she said as Roger set his spoon down and looked her in the eyes.  

"I'm pregnant."  he declared.  Watching as his mother realized she heard him correctly and dropped her own spoon.  He face registering shock and then disbelief.

"But Roger....I thought you were on birth control...how could you be so careless?"  she questioned.                                                                                                                                  

"I take my pills religiously but the manufacturer made a defective batch and recalled them.  By the time I found out I was already pregnant."  Roger informed her with a touch of annoyance at her judgement.   His mother's face fell hearing this.

"I'm sorry.  I shouldn't have said that."  she instantly corrected.  "I'm just so shocked!"  she admitted.  

"Me too Mum!"  Roger responded.  "It's okay. I forgive you."  he told her.  Understanding her dismay.  "And before you ask, Brian is the father and we are going to move in together."  he quickly added before the obvious question was thrown at him.  His mother appeared pleased.

"So you're getting married?"  she asked him with delight in her face.  

"No Mum.  I'm not ready for something like that."  Roger answered.  Seeing her face fall again.

"But if you're expecting a baby you really should get married."  Winifred argued.  "I know you and Brian haven't gone public and if you were to marry it would probably make things easier for you both." she pointed out. 

"You know how I feel about marriage."  Roger reminded her.  Winifred sighed and reached for her napkin to clean up the mess on her tablecloth from the dropped spoon.  

"I know your father and I didn't set the best example."  Winifred told him as she looked at him with guilt in her face.  "But please don't hate the notion of marriage because ours was a mess."  she pleaded.   "I'm pretty sure you love Brian.  I've seen it when you're together."  she informed her son.  Using it as ammunition.  

"It isn't about love Mum...it's about everything else to do with marriage."  Roger replied.  "Look! We are moving in together and we will have the baby and take it from there."  he advised.  "That's all I am capable of right now."  he said as he appeared uneasy.   "I can barely wrap my head around having a baby..."  he said as his mother stood up from her chair and walked over to him.  Wrapping her arms about his shoulders and pressing a kiss to his head.

"My baby boy is having a baby."  she said with affection.  Roger couldn't help but smile at his mother's words.  He placed his hands over hers.

"Yes he is....for better or for worse."  Roger replied as she kissed his head again.