CHAPTER 40

"Will you be my Boyfriend?"

It was around 6:00 PM when we finished training. So I was both exhausted and hungry. Given those conditions, even the slightest inconvenience would tick me off. I was a walking time bomb. And we had done training enough a few times already for Nathan to learn how to navigate me through everything until I got something to eat. And, I guess, we'd been hanging out for a long time for him to know that as well.

As soon as training ended, he would talk to me a little less and would actually make efforts to not have me interact with somebody else. Sometimes—I mean, most of the time—he would even order me food just so I'd go back to a state where he could annoy the fuck out of me without suffering that much repercussions.

Now, I have had a few girlfriends in the past to know that I was acting like them when they were hungry or when they were in their period or if they were tired—cranky and moody. I used to hate it when they acted like that. And I hated that as a boyfriend, I had to overcompensate just because they felt like shit. I mean, they didn't have to make someone else feel the same. But seeing how Nathan would react every time I do it, I realized just how bad of a boyfriend I must had been.

Well, not that Nathan was my boyfriend or anything.

"What are we in the mood tonight, babe?" Nathan said while going through his phone, "Chinese? Indian? Mexican? Or are we feeling pizza or pasta?"

"Chinese sounds great," I said, "Panda Express would be perfect right about now."

"Panda Express, it is, then," he said.

We were on our way to the Alphas' Lounge. Everyone else had gone there before us right after training. Nathan and I decided to stay in the locker room to wash up for a bit.

When we got there, a small crowd of less than 10 people were cluttered by the doorway. And almost out of reflex, I shrank, knowing well that interacting with some Alphas fans right now would not end up well both for me and for them. And almost at the same time, Nathan took a few steps ahead of me, as if shielding me from having to deal with them.

"Ether!" sigaw ng isang pamilyar na boses. I peaked through Nathan's shoulder to see Lance, "Kumusta? Congrats sa match mo kahapon!"

"Thanks, Lance," I said, "How are you holding up?"

"Listen, bro. Now's really not the time," sabi ni Nathan sabay harang kay Lance nang nagtangka itong maglakad patungo sa'kin, "It's been a long day at training and we could get some rest."

"It's cool, bro," sabi naman ni Lance, "I'm not tryna do nothing."

"Sir Nathan!" tawag ng isang mas nakababatang lalaki. Even this guy looked familiar. And now that I took a keener look, they all did.

"Hey, Markie! How's it going?" bati naman ni Nathan pabalik, "Long time no see."

"Been doing better with Weaponry II," sagot naman ng bata, "All thanks to you."

That was when I realized they were our tutees from the tutoring program Nathan and I both tutored. You know, the one Principal Hawthorne sanctioned us with for our little rodeo about the sentient magic during our alchemy lab class. The four of them were Wizardry students—Roxette, Wallace, Opal, and you guys know Lance. The remaining three were Swordsmanship students—Markie, Darcy, and Sean. During our tutor days, Nathan and I each focused on tutees with the same course as us. But we take turns teaching them the general subjects like Alchemy, Math, Economics, etc. So all of them technically are our tutees.

Now that I thought about it. So much had happened that if felt like tutoring them was like a lifetime ago. It had only just been two weeks since they all passed their midterm exams.