Chapter 13: Hogs Head

Hermione made no mention of Harry giving Defense Against the Dark Arts lessons for two whole weeks after her original suggestion.

We had four more quidditch practice, two of which I used Malfoy as a target for bludger practice (for what he said about Hagrid) and all four of us had managed to vanish our mice in Transfiguration (Hermione had actually progressed to vanishing kittens and I had made progress with them, managing to vanish their tails), before the subject was broached again, on a wild, blustery evening at the end of September, when the four of us were sitting in the library, looking up potion ingredients for Snape.

"I was wondering," Hermione said suddenly, "whether you'd thought any more about Defense Against the Dark Arts, Harry."

"'Course I have," said Harry grumpily. "Can't forget it, can we, with that hag teaching us —"

"I meant the idea Ron, (Y/n), and I had" — Ron cast her an alarmed, threatening kind of look; she frowned at him — "oh, all right, the idea I had, then — about you teaching us."

"To be fair I didn't think it was a bad idea." I told her.

Honestly quite a good idea if I'm honest. I mean Harry may be thick but he does know how to cast a good spell.

Harry did not answer at once.

"Well," he said slowly, "yeah, I — I've thought about it a bit."

"And?" said Hermione eagerly.

"I dunno," said Harry, playing for time. He looked up at Ron.

"I thought it was a good idea from the start," said Ron, who seemed keener to join in this conversation now that he was sure that Harry was not going to start shouting again.

"Hold on Ronald you just said it wasn't your idea." I told him.

"Err...well...I mean I didn't think it was a bad idea..." Ron trailed off.

Harry shifted uncomfortably in his chair.
"You did listen to what I said about a load of it being luck, didn't you?"

"Yes, Harry," said Hermione gently, "but all the same, there's no point pretending that you're not good at Defense Against the Dark Arts, because you are. You and (Y/n) were the only people last year who could throw off the Imperius Curse completely, you can produce a Patronus, you can do all sorts of stuff that full-grown wizards can't, Viktor always said —"

Ron looked around at her so fast he appeared to crick his neck; rubbing it, he said, "Yeah? What did Vicky say?"

"Ho ho," said Hermione in a bored voice. "He said Harry knew how to do stuff even he didn't, and he was in the final year at Durmstrang."
Ron was looking at Hermione suspiciously.

"Did he say anything about me?" I asked her.

"Well...he did say he was a little scared of you." She told me.

I grinned slightly at this. "Well a bit of fear never hurt anyone."

"You're not still in contact with him, are you?" Ron asked butting in.

"So what if I am?" said Hermione coolly, though her face was a little pink. "I can have a pen pal if I —"

"He didn't only want to be your pen pal," said Ron accusingly.

"I mean I'm sure he'd like his pen to be your pal." I said.

A little bit of a stretch with the metaphor but I liked it.

Hermione shook her head exasperatedly and, ignoring Ron and me, said to Harry, "Well, what do you think? Will you teach us?"

"Just you, Ron, and (Y/n) yeah?"