Tugboat Times Written by ChrisAllen001!

Dedicated to David Mitton and Robert D. Cardona, creators of the 1989 UK TV Show "TUGS", the inspiration for this book.

Chapter 1: Misunderstood

Many years ago, I, Captain Turner, ran a fleet of tugboats in Puget Port, a big harbor right next to Coastal City. It was going through massive growth back then, so job deals were aplenty. I had three harbor tugs for big jobs: Gerald, a paddle-steamer, Phil and Saxon. I also had two switcher tugs for smaller jobs: Shannon and Samantha. They were a great crew; always striving to be the best in the port, not always succeeding, but very proud of their work.

I remember the day we got our first big break. It started at my fleet's pier that morning. Like always, I communicated with the tugs through a megaphone from my office. "Good morning, Turners!" I said. "Great news, I had to work really hard, but I signed a contract with one of the biggest ocean liners around, the Murdoch!" My tugs blew their high pitched whistles happily as their red and yellow paint jobs gleamed in the sun. "Gerald, you're on the side push," I continued. "Phil, you take whichever side Gerald isn't on and Saxon, the lead goes to you. Shannon and Samantha, you stay close and ready in case extra help is needed. Only get involved if I say so. Now go get cleaned up, stock up on extra coal, and good luck!"

The Turner tugs got washed down and a great big supply of coal at Repair Road. This was where all fixes to all broken vessels were made. They were all talking about their biggest job ever. "Of all the jobs that could help my image, this is one I have to sit out", complained Samantha. "Many is always better than one", responded Gerald firmly. "Yes, we're a team." agreed Shannon. "At least Samantha is excited" replied Saxon. "Gang, focus" said Phil. "We must get this right; there are no second chances with a job like this. And let's not speak about this to the Schweiger mob."

The Schweiger fleet was our rival back then. And unlike me and my tugs, Captain Schweiger and his tugs would do anything to get ahead, good or bad, mostly bad. Their black and maroon paint, paired with their low-pitched horns, meant trouble every time. Word always traveled fast around Puget Port, so nothing was secret.

As Gerald, Phil, and Saxon left Repair Road, they noticed Fletcher, the paddle-steamer and leader of the Schweigers, giving instructions to Sarah and Korina, the two switchers of the same fleet, about an American football field's length away. The trio was next to the seaplane hangar, home of Sandy, the British Seaplane. She couldn't be seen inside the hangar, nor on the runway, so she was certainly out flying. "What's going on over there?" wondered Saxon. "Don't bother with them, focus on us" answered Phil. "Right, I'm sorry" answered Saxon with an glum look. "It's okay, my brother," said Phil calmly. My tugs didn't know what their plan was, and didn't care. But Saxon was about to find out all too well.

As Saxon made his way towards his chosen waiting place, he was surprised and puzzled to see Sarah and Korina come alongside.  "Need some help, Saxon?" asked Korina.  "We thought you could use some backing up" added Sarah.  "Backup, not 'backing up'," snapped Korina.  "You deserve better than heading to where you're going all alone," continued Korina as she turned back to Saxon.  "Also," added Sarah, "we'd like to save you time by showing you a faster route." As the two spoke to Saxon, they blinked and showed smiles that looked nicer than they really were.  "Aw, thanks girls, please show me the way" said Saxon.  He would find out very soon that the Schweiger girls had laid a trap and he had fallen right into it.

Not long after, the Murdoch was spotted outside the port right on time, but Saxon was missing!  Needing all the power I could get, I gave Shannon and Samantha the full go ahead to work with Gerald and Phil on this job, and both leapt at the chance.  The two were thrilled, because switchers never worked on ocean liners.  As the last and trickiest part of the docking began, it seemed that the Schweiger fleet's plan had failed.  But Fletcher always had a Plan B.