Monalisa's Childhood Trauma

7-year-old Y'Gythgba was being carried by her mother as she and her father all but ran for their lives. The sounds of explosions, shouting, and blades came from all directions. "There Sa'Ling!" Her father shouted and suddenly, they were inside an underground hideout with other Salamandrian children.

Her mother set her down, grabbed her shoulders and looked her straight in the eyes. "Y'Gythgba, stay here with all the other children and stay safe. Your father and I will be back as soon as we can."

Y'Gythgba did not like that at all and she scowled at her mother. "I don't want to stay down here! Let me fight with you guys!"

"This is not a fight for you, Y'Gythgba." Her father said sternly. Y'Gythgba only glared at him, her face full of determination which made him look at her proudly. "Not yet anyway." He then turned to his wife. "Come, Sa'Ling, we must join the others."

Sa'Ling nodded and kissed the top of Y'Gythgba's head, smiling at her lovingly. "Stay strong, Y'Gythgba." With that, Y'Gythgba watched sadly as her parents left then heard someone crying. She went over to a pink scaled Salamandrian girl, the same age as her, crying her eyes out. "Why are you crying?"

"Because I'm scared!"

"Oh shut up!" A black and white scaled Salamandrian boy yelled. "You are such a baby! You are a sorry excuse for a Salamandrian! Crying won't stop any of this!" Y'Gythgba rewarded the boy's shouting, by punching him in the face, making him fall back and look at her in shock. "Neither will yelling at her!" She shouted. "My father always told me, in times of war, we must fight through fear and do what we can to help our people. So, instead of yelling at her for crying, try doing something actually useful. I know you're scared too but that's no reason to shout at her."

The boy started to have tears in his eyes. "You don't know me!"

"You're right, I don't. So, what is your name?" Y'Gythgba then asked and the boy hesitated. "T'Heedree"

"Nice to meet you." Y'Gythgba said before turning to the crying girl. "And what's your name?" The girl sniffed before answering. "N'Raa."

"My name is Y'Gythgba."

"Hey! I know you; your father is the commander of the army, right?" T'Heedree asked and Y'Gythgba smiled proudly. "Yes, Commander Ya'Druaa" N'Raa gasped. "And your mom is the second female Lieutenant, Lieutenant Sa'Ling?!"

"Yes." N'Raa eyes sparkled with excitement. "Wow, that's so cool! I hope I will become the next Lieutenant!"

It was safe to say that Y'Gythgba was very proud of her parents and looked up to them greatly. She wanted to be just like them and could not wait until they started to train her. Actually, they already have but she wanted more of a challenge, she wanted to go to the next level, but her parents kept telling her she has to be patient. Y'Gythgba suddenly felt herself frowning, worried for her parents and hoping that the war would end soon so she could see them.

*BOOOM!!!!!!*

"AHHH!" N'Raa screamed as she jumped in T'Heedree's arms who scowled at her. He opened his mouth to scold her but stopped at the glare Y'Gythgba send his way. He grumbled and slowly held her, patting her back softly. "N'Raa, you have to be quiet. The enemy is out there, and we can't let them find us." Y'Gythgba said gently and N'Raa nodded. "I-I'll try."

The children have no idea how long they have been down there, to them, it felt like days but really it has only been hours. Y'Gythgba, T'Heedree, and N'Raa, did everything they could to pass the time and help the other Salamadrian children, to comfort them but to also distract themselves from their own worries. After a while, the doors finally opened and the children all tense, afraid that it might be the enemy but to their relief and pure joy, it was their parents returning from their heavy battle.