Chapter Sixteen

The minute I had untangled myself from Aemond, it felt as if there were a thousand hands upon me. We were rushed back to the Red Keep, repeatedly checked for wounds, washed and changed, then guard and tucked away in the vicinity of the old walls. I looked at my reflection, my hair curled and pinned up, my mauve pink dress with gold details and short sleeves that fell over my shoulders, clean and crisp. I did not look like someone who had just witnessed thousands of innocent people lose their lives and a dragon destroy the Sept she resided in. I had been sitting on the edge of my bed for what seemed like hours, simply staring at my wall as if some magical door would appear that takes me home to my family. I missed them dearly; I wanted to take care of my mother, my siblings, I wanted to run along the gardens and forget that I just witnessed the start of a war. Unfortunately, life does not work like that, and for now I will have to miss them.

Standing from my corner, I padded over to my door, pulling it toward me and walking out. I weaved through the halls swiftly, not exactly sure where I was going. Helaena was tending to her children, so I was left to wander on my own. Slowing, I quietly moved toward what I had come to know as the Small Council Room. Muffled voices crept out from behind the cracked doors, making me crane my neck in curiosity. Two armored men stood guard and I approached them with an innocent look on my face. They spared me one look, then returned their gaze forward. Without entering, I peeked my eye through the small opening and scanned the room. Aegon, Alicent, Otto, Aemond, and many others sat around a large table. The discussion looked serious and I dare not interrupt, but my eyes held me where I was. Aemond looked exhausted, his gaze down and his demeanor more relaxed, I wanted to run in there and hold him. My gaze bore into his figure, and just as if I had willed it, he glanced my way. Our eyes locked for a second before I pulled back and turned away, walking from the doors. Before I rounded the corner, a deep metal click sounded, followed by footsteps coming down the hall. Not risking looking back, I turned left and continued on, noticing the rhythm of the steps picking up. Making it only a few paces more, I felt a hand wrap around my waist, pulling me to a familiar figure. I spun around with a smile dancing my lips, tilting my head up to look at Aemond.

I brushed a strand of his white hair behind his shoulder, "Aemond, you cannot just leave a room that requires your presence because of me."

He looks down the dimly lit and empty hall, "They will manage without me, they always have."

I flash him a sad smile and step away from his war body, interlancing out fingers, "So stubborn..." I trail off, wrapping my free hand around his arm, as if to pull him closer. We walk in silence to a balcony overlooking a small passing yard, old stone covered in leaves from the tree in the center. The sky grows golden with the setting sun and I release Aemond, leaning on the stone railing to admire it. Aemond leans on the rail's corner, folding his arms over his chest.

My voice goes soft, "I will have to return home soon, maybe for good." I do not look at the man beside me, staring out into the distance still. Aemond does not speak, so I take my turn again, "With Aegon crowned king, alliances will form and so will enemies. I need to be there to protect my family," I laugh a little, "let alone play the role of Lady Tyrell of Highgarden the best I can."

"Does Highgarden require their lady's presence so desperately?" Aemond's tone is almost irritated.

I turn my head to him now, "Yes actually, I may not rule over a kingdom, but I have my own oaths to uphold and my own alliances to tend to." Aemond rolls his eye and I feel myself getting frustrated, "I have business with Cider Hall and the Fossoways, the Rowans of Goldengrove need my support if war is declared, and I am sure I will have to defend my claim to Highgarden if Eustace returns for his claim!"

"Eustace?" Aemond asks in confusion.

I breathe in, holding it for a second before releasing it, "My brother," I turn to Aemond completely, taking in his confused face, "he is a year younger than me and is returning from Oldtown soon. He lived there for around a month, training and learning to sail from my uncle, as my father was frequently falling ill. If he returns, he will have a stronger claim to Highgarden due to being the oldest male in the family."