Chapter 9

The days that followed Brooklyn's disappearance were a haze of agony for Latavia. The anguish gnawed at her heart, and the weight of uncertainty pressed upon her soul. She had hoped, prayed even, that her dear friend would be found unharmed, but reality was a merciless mistress.

Two weeks had passed since Brooklyn had vanished, and despair had cast its dark shadow upon the entire community. And then, as if fate itself reveled in cruelty, the discovery was made. Brooklyn's lifeless body, abandoned and discarded like a broken doll, lay by a tranquil stream. The sight that met the eyes of those who found her was a horrifying tableau etched forever into their memories. She was stripped of all her clothes, her fragile form marred by the brutality of a razor-sharp blade across her throat. The Redhill Slasher had claimed another victim, and the wounds inflicted upon Latavia's heart were deeper than any blade could ever cut.

Devastation took hold of Latavia's spirit, shrouding her in a suffocating veil of grief. The weight of loss was unbearable, crushing her will to face the world outside her shattered sanctuary. For days on end, she sought solace within the confines of her room, cocooned in sorrow. Her isolation became a refuge, a desperate attempt to shield herself from the harsh reality that had stripped her of an irreplaceable friendship.

But even in the darkest depths of despair, a flicker of light can emerge, guiding one towards healing. As Latavia sat in her room, consumed by sorrow, a soft rustling sound disrupted the silence. The window creaked open, and there, towering just outside the window, was the beta female, head lowered, peering into her room. Her loyal companion, with eyes that mirrored Latavia's grief, reached out with an unspoken invitation.

In a moment of silent understanding, Latavia rose from her huddled position, and with heavy footsteps, followed the beta female's lead. Take hold of the dense fur on her side, Latavia threw her leg over the big females back and settled in place. The beta lept from the room and was at full sprint, a blur to anyone who may have seen them. The journey took them through the woods, a path veiled in mystery and secrets. It was a path known only to the pack, a sacred passage where the wild embraced the weary and offered solace in its untamed embrace.

Finally, they arrived at a small clearing, where another large canine lie creature awaited their arrival. Latavia's breath caught in her throat as she saw the wise old wolf, her silvered muzzle shining with wisdom earned through a lifetime of hardships. She recognized the gentle eyes, just as Ma slowly transformed back into her human form and beckoned Latavia to come closer, sensing the weight of unspoken pain that burdened her young soul.

Latavia approached, her steps faltering, her heart pounding in her chest. Her initial fear was quickly washed away as she both disregarded and accepted what she had seen. She ran to her, falling tearily into her embrace. She found her voice, raw and trembling, as she poured out her shattered heart to Ma. Every word was a sob, every sentence a jagged fragment of grief. The torrent of emotions cascaded through her, as she unleashed the anguish that had held her captive within her own grief-stricken prison.

But Ma, in her ancient wisdom, knew the power of silence. She listened, her presence a soothing balm that wrapped around Latavia's fragile being. Her touch, as soft as a whisper, gently wiped away the tears that streamed down Latavia's cheeks. The bond between them that had grown stronger even in their absence, held them together in this moment of shared pain and vulnerability.

As the sun began its descent towards the horizon, casting long shadows through the trees, Ma knew it was time. Time to mend what could be mended, to heal what could be healed. With a reassuring nudge, Ma bid Latavia farewell, knowing that the pack awaited her return. The beta female, ever the guardian, bowed to allow Latavia easy  familiar mounting and headed for a familiar path. She was soon joined by the rest of the pack.