8

[Words: 3872]

1975, 12th September- Friday

Two days had passed, and Polaris found himself grappling with a sense of guilt. He had shrugged off Sirius due to his words, perceiving them as sarcastic and mocking. Sirius always positioned himself as the superior one compared to Regulus, mainly because he was a Slytherin, and now that Polaris was also sorted into Slytherin, he expected Sirius to treat him the same.

Sirius had wanted Polaris to be sorted into any house other than Slytherin, knowing that Polaris had resisted the Sorting Hat's decision. After their earlier conversation, Polaris realized he had overreacted and misunderstood Sirius. Sirius seemed genuinely sorry, albeit confused about his own behaviour.

Polaris had to push himself to apologize to his brother for dismissing him so easily.

Deep down, Polaris knew Sirius was joking; it was his nature and what he found joy in. However, a profound resentment grew within Polaris because he sensed that the joke was not just a joke but rather a veiled wish. Sirius had wanted him to be anything other than a Slytherin, and that wish had not been granted. At times, Sirius portrayed both his brothers as spoiled brats, yet he himself acted that way, even though he despised their parents.

It seemed that Sirius always had to have his way, while Polaris wondered why he couldn't have what he wanted. All he desired was to be a Slytherin and avoid causing conflicts. After weighing the options, Polaris concluded that being in Slytherin was the best path to take.

He would rather have an annoyed Sirius than face the wrath of two angry and resentful parents.

Shaking his head, Polaris resolved not to dwell on it any longer. It wouldn't do him any good to be distracted in class, especially since he shared the class with Gryffindors.

Glancing towards the front of the room on the right, he noticed Robert Wellington, sitting alone with his eyes fixed on the wooden desk.

Polaris couldn't deny that a part of him had hoped the Gryffindor would trip and fall when he first saw him.

In the Defence Against the Dark Arts class, they were still waiting for Professor Arthur Volan to arrive. He had been late last week as well, so it seemed to be a recurring pattern.

Robert Wellington finally looked up, and with hesitation, he stood up, his red hair swaying with the motion. Slowly, he turned around, capturing the attention of some curious classmates who wondered what he was up to.

Ever since the altercation between them, Robert had become known as the boy who went against a Black, a label that seemed to stick and follow him.

The Gryffindor made his way towards the back of the classroom and stopped in front of Polaris' desk, standing there awkwardly. All eyes were on them, and the room fell into silence as the first years eagerly watched, waiting to see Polaris' reaction.

It appeared that Robert was struggling to find the right words, so Polaris decided to break the silence and speak up instead. Leaning his chin on his hand, he looked at Robert with a bored expression and prompted him, "And you're standing there because?" Polaris was genuinely confused about why Robert was once again confronting him, and his tone reflected his indifference.

Corvus, who was sitting in front of Polaris on the left side of the desk, had turned on his stool fully to face the red-headed Robert, his eyes narrowed with a hint of curiosity. Thaddeus Burke, the boy sitting beside Polaris, also seemed invested in the situation, finding amusement in such moments. Chaos seemed to appeal to him, which explained his growing friendship with Elora Parkinson.