Chapter 1 The warning

(warning mentions of abuse and child neglect)

y/n pov

I stumbled through the door, dragging my feet. It had been a long day, and I wanted to just sit on the couch and take a nap.

"Come one y/n, stay awake for when Lexi gets home." I mumbled, lightly smacking my face.

I lived in a small apartment. Two bedrooms, one bathroom, a kitchen that opened up onto my living room where a big flat screen tv sat in front of an old satin couch. I remember my parents giving me that couch. They only gave it to me and my ex wife, because they didn't want it anymore. My parents were filthy rich, and yet they never gave a crap about me. Their youngest son.

Whatever it didn't matter, I'm a better parent. I flopped down onto the couch, setting my bag from work down. I then turned on the news and then waited for a happy face to come bursting through the door.

It was a few minutes later when I heard the door open and the "thump, thump, thump" of Lexi's crutches hit the floor as she ran in.

"DADDY!!!" She shouted happily, as I stood up.

She instantly ran into my arms and I hugged her, lifting her off the ground a bit.

"Hey sweetie, how was your day at school?" I asked, with a big smile, looking straight at her.

"It was really cool! My teacher had me make these cool owl drawings! We got to use glue and feathers and glitter and stickers and, and look!" She said, holding up a drawing for me to see.

It was a coloring page of an owl that she had colored in with crayons and had glued colorful feathers to the wings. There was also a lot of glitter sprinkled on it with random stickers stuck on around it.

"Oh it's amazing sweetie! I love it!" I said, happily. "Do you wanna hang it up?" I asked.

She nodded quickly, and scrambled over to the wall by the TV, covered in her drawings. I grabbed masking tape and taped her drawing to it. She squealed happily. I smiled looking down at her, with her little crutches. I wish I could have done something though, to make her even more happy then she was now. Lexi was born with crippled legs, I had to carry her around as a baby. My ex wife insisted on giving her to an orphanage, but I wanted to be a good father so I took care of her. And anytime Lexi made a mistake in front of her "mother" I would stand up for her. A slap in the face or an object thrown at me by my ex wife was all worth it to see Lexi smile.

"Oh, oh, oh! Can we see Wally? Please, please, please, please, please?" Lexi said, tugging on my shirt.

"Sure Lex, go sit down on the couch and I'll turn on the show." I giggle.

Wally was a character from a cartoon Lexi had just discovered. I didn't know much except for the fact it was on the "Playfellow Network" which I thought had shut down years ago. Lexi had found it by clicking random buttons on the controller. I got to the channel and the show started to play. I actually hadn't stopped to see the show, Lexi just started watching it and loved it. She said she talked to Wally, whom I'm assuming was the main character, who always talked to the audience.

"Daddy! Daddy! Will you watch Welcome Home with me?" She asked looking up at me with those big innocent eyes.

That one sentence startled me. I hadn't heard that name in years.

"Welcome Home? Wait, is that what you're watching?" I asked.

I watched Welcome Home as a kid. I loved the show...now that I think about it the main character's name was Wally! Wally Darling! I liked talking to him, as well. Of course he was just a recording on screen, so I couldn't really talk to him. I even had a welcome home phone, that I would tell everyone on the phone about my worries and how my day went as a kid. Oh man I loved that show, I was so upset when it was stopped.

"Yeah! With Wally, and Julie, and Barnaby, and Poppy, and everyone!" She giggled.

"Of course! It's playing again, oh my god! I would love to watch it with you Lexi!" I said, sitting down next to her.

She took off her crutches and leaned then against the couch. I sunk into the couch as the familiar theme song played. I hummed to it as Lexi snuggled into my arms. I chuckled as the show started to play and it showed Wally on screen. The same puppet like he used to be. Blue swirly pompadour, with yellow skin and rainbow pants and the blue jacket. Oh man I missed watching this.

"Well hello there neighbor, it's nice to see you again!" Wally said, looking at the screen.

"Hi Wally!" Lexi said with enthusiasm.

I chuckled softly.  It was cute seeing her watch this, reminded me of my younger days. Then I heard my phone ring in the kitchen. I got up and told Lexi to keep watching it. I picked up my blue cased phone and looked at the number on screen. Our landlord. I picked up and stepped into the small extra room connected to our kitchen.

"Hello, Mr. Jason." I said into the phone.

"Mr. L/n, your payment for your apartment is overdue." He said coldly.

"Listen I haven't been doing the best, I only have enough money to pay for my rent. I need the rest to feed me and Lexi and pay for Lexi's healthcare. I hope you understand, I really am short on money right now." I say worriedly.

"You better get me full payment or you and your daughter are being evicted! I will not hesitate to kick you both out if you don't get a payment to me soon!" He shouted.

"Yes, sir."

"Good." He said. And then he hung up.

I started to get tears in my eyes. Evicted? What am I going to do if we get evicted?!? I don't want to move! This is our home! What am I supposed to tell Lexi? She'd be devastated! I started to cry, and dropped to the floor on my knees.

"Daddy?" Lexi said, peering in through the doorway at me.

I stood up frantically and wiped my eyes. "Sorry, I'm okay Lex, you can go back to watching the show." I said.

She looked up at me with a sad look in her eyes.

"Is it about, mommy?" She asked.

"No, no, it's nothing. You don't worry about it Lexi, okay?" I say, kneeling down at her level.

She nodded and then headed back to the living room. I sighed. I was going to work myself tired if I had to. I was gonna make sure that me and Lexi never had to move.

❤🧡💛💚💙💜

So what do ya'll think so far? I love Lexi she's such a sweet baby. But what do you guys think will happen?? You'll have to find out bc I don't spoil stuff :]

Btw this is what Lexi uses for crutches, except she has an elastic band on them to keep her arm attached if she lets go for some reason (she can slip her arms in and out the elastic band it's just a safety precaution so she has better grip) (this is not what Lexi looks like I'm just using the picture for reference)