THE HONEYBEES

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐘𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐒 are a family who live on a farm in Wellspring, Connecticut. It feels like a dream: no clouds of pollution or thick swarms of people, no revving cars or wailing sirens. Just blue skies and grass that rolls like the ocean for miles. 

Mara Honeybee, the mother, was never able to birth children. She worried that she would never get to live her dream of raising happy and healthy kids. So instead she adopted them-- a lot of them. 

Julian Honeybee, the father, suffered from heartbreak. After losing his wife, starting a new family seemed irreverent, his biological kids a reminder of everything he lost. But Mara showed him the beauty of new life. 

All the Honeybees live contently, riding into town on their bicycles for the things they couldn't grow, playing in dandelion fields and chasing after lambs. 

One day, a girl shows up. A new one, full of secrets, dynamic. And the Honeybees flock to her as if she were a flower. 

MARA HONEYBEE

Well-mannered, soft-spoken, and gritty, Mara has a soft, old fashioned way about her. She's the blanket you find in your attic, worn and a little moth-nibbled, but familiar and comforting all the same. Mara is stubborn, persistent, and good at handling things with care. Her family has owned the Honeybee farm for decades. When her mother passed during childbirth, Mara felt as if she would never be whole again. But she raised her little sister, Naomi, and ran the farm by herself. Naomi grew up, went to college, and Mara found herself alone again. Time and time again, she tried to fall in love, but every man she met had no taste for her strength and wisdom. And when they discovered she was infertile, that was reason enough to leave. 

But a storm blew up a weary straggler, running from his life in a drunken haze, a man who had abandoned his children in some motel down the road. Mara took him in, dunked him in the rain barrel, fed him some thick porridge, and kicked him promptly back out. She had no tolerance for parents who abandoned their children, since they were lucky enough to have children. The very same man returned days later, still in despair, begging her to take in his children. He knew he could never care for someone the way she did. 

Instead she took them all in, nurtured them and fed them alongside her own adopted kids. The man got back on his feet. The kids thrived together. 

And the rest is history. 

JULIAN HONEYBEE